Shimano DC reel questions

I don't really have problems with casting reels. Sure, I get an occasional overrun - but nothing unusual.

I recently cought two DC reels - an SLX and a Metanium.

The SLX has 50lb braid on it, and the Metanium has 18lb Fluoro.

Both are set on the level "2".

I'm using them for long casts.

My buddy can throw either of these and keep his thumb entirely off the spool with no over-run, and throw cast it farther than I can. I get over-run constantly - even with my thumb feathering the spool. I get more overruns with the DC than any of my non-DC reels (all Shimano). If I try a cast without my thumb on the spool, I'm spending an eternity digging out a bird's nest.

Obviously there's some difference in how we load/cast the rod. I think I'm using more wrist and snapping it more.

Any tips for improving my cast or tuning the DC reels? I'm on the verge of selling both and sticking to standard reels.

Edited to add: if I set it to level 3 or 4 the brakes kick in so quick/hard that I get no distance on the cast. I can't imagine anyone actually using the reel on those levels.
    Last edited by TNReb; 11-29-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    My guess is hes throwing more of a lob cast to where youre snapping it. Youre causing the spool to spin too fast to where hes letting the rod/spool do the work. Ive gone to pretty much all curado dc’s and i bet i havent had 2 or 3 actual backlashes this year. Everybody will get the occasional loop regardless of what reel youre using but most of the time i couldnt backlash the dc’s if i tried. Next time you go concentrate on not snapping the bait forward on the cast. Its all trial and error and what works for one person might not work for the next
    They aint got hands, set the hook

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    My guess is hes throwing more of a lob cast to where youre snapping it. Youre causing the spool to spin too fast to where hes letting the rod/spool do the work. Ive gone to pretty much all curado dc’s and i bet i havent had 2 or 3 actual backlashes this year. Everybody will get the occasional loop regardless of what reel youre using but most of the time i couldnt backlash the dc’s if i tried. Next time you go concentrate on not snapping the bait forward on the cast. Its all trial and error and what works for one person might not work for the next
    I believe you're right - but that snap is a very hard habit to break!
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    One thing that might help is running the fluoro reel on the 3 setting

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    One thing that might help is running the fluoro reel on the 3 setting
    I agree. I run braid on the number 2 setting and flouro on the number 3 setting. I tried using flouro on the number 2 setting but I was getting more backlashes than I wanted, so I switched to the number 3 setting and it was much better. I don't use the number 4 setting much, but it does come in handy if you are trying to skip baits into very tight areas, since that setting makes it difficult to backlash, even if the bait hits something while skipping it.

6. Member
    Do you also use the cast control knob ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    Do you also use the cast control knob ?
    Yes - I've tried tweaking it with no success.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    I bought one when they first were offered here and agree that the ‘snap’ might be the problem. I don’t think I’ll but another, newer bait casters backlash about as much as my DC anyway. And I don’t now why, but that whine they make gets old on my ears. I watched a show on youtube the other day and the guys partner had one and man, the audio pickup of the whine was brutal.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie