My Motor Finally Quit On Me.

Well it finally happened. My 2007 Merc 225 Pro XS engine failed. Two pistons coming apart acc to the mechanic. That was a really sweet motor that ran great for 13 years. I've decided to replace the motor instead of putting on a new powerhead. Going with a new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-Stroke. Going to cost me an arm and a leg but with the longer warranty and (hopefully) higher resale value it should be worth it. Looking forward to getting her back on the water again although it may be quite a while with all the Covid related delays.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Well it finally happened. My 2007 Merc 225 Pro XS engine failed. Two pistons coming apart acc to the mechanic. That was a really sweet motor that ran great for 13 years. I've decided to replace the motor instead of putting on a new powerhead. Going with a new Merc 225 Pro XS 4-Stroke. Going to cost me an arm and a leg but with the longer warranty and (hopefully) higher resale value it should be worth it. Looking forward to getting her back on the water again although it may be quite a while with all the Covid related delays.
    How many hours was on it? Did the mech say why the damage happened? My coworker took me out on his BassCat that has the new 4 stroke V8 and it really sounds great. I don’t think there is much difference in the weight between the 2 stroke and new 4 stroke. You won’t have to add oil anymore.

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Dang Jim hate to hear but you will enjoy the 4 stroke and you got all kinds of money.( like me, mostly nickels and dimes)
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    How many hours was on it? Did the mech say why the damage happened? My coworker took me out on his BassCat that has the new 4 stroke V8 and it really sounds great. I don’t think there is much difference in the weight between the 2 stroke and new 4 stroke. You won’t have to add oil anymore.
    As I recall, the engine had 460 hours on it. Looking forward to running the new motor. Not looking forward to paying for it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Dang Jim hate to hear but you will enjoy the 4 stroke and you got all kinds of money.( like me, mostly nickels and dimes)
    Hey Gene, nickels and dimes are all I got. May have to get a 2nd mortgage on the home to pay for this new motor. They ain't cheap!

As I recall, the engine had 460 hours on it. Looking forward to running the new motor. Not looking forward to paying for it.
    Please post your experience with the new motor upgrade if you wouldn't mind. My Opti has 843 hours on it and I cross my fingers every time I launch now.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Please post your experience with the new motor upgrade if you wouldn't mind. My Opti has 843 hours on it and I cross my fingers every time I launch now.
    I sure will Cal. But it's likely to be awhile before I get it back on the lake. I'm setting up a "Go Fund Me" account to raise money for the new motor. Be sure to contribute your fair share! lol

I sure will Cal. But it's likely to be awhile before I get it back on the lake. I'm setting up a "Go Fund Me" account to raise money for the new motor. Be sure to contribute your fair share! lol
    Let me know. I'd hate to see a fellow fisherman lose an arm and a leg.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Talked to my guy this afternoon. Motor is in the queue and should be here Dec 27.

Dang, Jim! Hate to hear that. Hope they get you squared away quickly with a new four stroke. Looking forward to some feedback on the new engine.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Sorry to hear that - I have an Opti-pop, almost 9 years old and about 400 hours. The end could be near...

12. Member
    Dang, only 460 hours in 13 years? I have a 2018 SHO 200 with over 300 hours already and I sold a 2012 Yamaha HPDI 175 with over 500 hours and the guy who bought it 3 years ago hasn't had an issue. Not pushing Yamaha but that's not a lot of hours to have it fail. Good luck with your new motor. Those Pro XS four strokes sound good!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

13. Member
    Hodges Marine repowered mine from 225 Opti to 225ProXS 4S. Happy with the motor and satisfied with the dealer.

14. Member
    You had better luck than I did. I had a 2006 250xs and in 300 hrs I went through 2 powerheads and a gear case self destructed. I constantly had issues with that motor. Now I have 150 hrs on a sho and all I can say is that your going to love a 4 stroke!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Hodges Marine repowered mine from 225 Opti to 225ProXS 4S. Happy with the motor and satisfied with the dealer.
    I know the good folks at Hodges Marine. I've been doing business with them for many years and are friends with Mike, Donny and Rick. I just was able to work a deal with Perfect Catch Marine. Call it a "bundled" deal where I get a new motor, trade-in the old motor, get a Platinum ext warranty with coverage out to six years, install the new HD steering module, install the new MercMonitor, maybe a new Fury prop and assistance with break-in and prop selection.

I only live 10 minutes from the Ranger factory and I have talked to friends I know there including their prop guy who recommends a 23 Fury. I intend to talk to Mark Croxton as well. But, the final decision will be made on the water, after break-in is complete, by running several different props and deciding which prop and pitch is best for my setup.

16. Member
    Sounds like they have you covered.

17. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    You must do way more fishing than boat riding to only have that many hours in 13 years. Several years ago Randy Brooks of Brooks Marine told me I'd want to throw rocks at an Optipop or any 2-stroke for that matter after running a new 4-stroke. He was right and you'll feel the same way. I know buying the new engine hurts but sure beats buying a whole new boat.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker250xs View Post
    You had better luck than I did. I had a 2006 250xs and in 300 hrs I went through 2 powerheads and a gear case self destructed. I constantly had issues with that motor. Now I have 150 hrs on a sho and all I can say is that your going to love a 4 stroke!
    I hope I'll love the 4-stroke Chris. Been riding in a friends Z521 with 250 Pro XS 4-stroke for about a year now. Pretty darn impressive low- and mid-range acceleration. Love the growling at idle (kinda reminds me of my old 57 Chevy 301 with full race Isky cam) and the quiet when running.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    You must do way more fishing than boat riding to only have that many hours in 13 years. Several years ago Randy Brooks of Brooks Marine told me I'd want to throw rocks at an Optipop or any 2-stroke for that matter after running a new 4-stroke. He was right and you'll feel the same way. I know buying the new engine hurts but sure beats buying a whole new boat.
    Chris, I do most of my fishing right here on Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes. Over those 13 years, I've had about 8 different guys I've fished with and we all took turns riding in each others boats. Some have come and gone, but I still fish with 4 buddies now. Saves on gas and hours on each others motors.