2003 Johnson 175

J175GLSTA. Came back into ramp today & tied up & shut off while going to get truck & got back to boat & go to start & nothing. Battery is good. No click when trying to start. Checked main fuses & they’re all good. I had a starter go out about 4 years ago & got a new one from rebuild place. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

2. Member
    Neutral safety switch. Wiggle the throttle and try again.

3. Member
    I have. Thanks

4. Member
    I had the same issue with my 99 150, it was the emm ! Had it redone 2 times the problem was that I had bad t stats and it over heated and cooked the main communication chips Not saying that's what your problem is, but ? Mine runs like a champ again since fix !

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    I had the same issue with my 99 150, it was the emm ! Had it redone 2 times the problem was that I had bad t stats and it over heated and cooked the main communication chips Not saying that's what your problem is, but ? Mine runs like a champ again since fix !
    03 Johnsons were carbed engines...no emm. I would suspect loose connection or bad solenoid in the op's case.

6. Member
    Hadn’t had time to be able to fool with it, but I got it figured out. It’s the starter solenoid. Thanks for the help. I could jumper it & it would turn over then go to the key switch & it would crank once. Tracked down the neutral safety & exciter wires & they were working right. Then while I had a boy holding the key in crank position I pecked solenoid with a pair of pliers & she turn over great. Let off & have to repeat & same results. Picking one up tomorrow & be back on the water pretty quick like.
    Last edited by Les Young; 12-04-2020 at 04:45 AM.

7. Member
    AAAHHHH ! Thank you ! Did not know that !

8. Member
    Well i guess i have a bad key switch. Went to the lake today, hit key & fired right up. Cruise up lake get to first spot & go to shut it off & it wouldn't. Had to push primer to kill it. Now i've got a new key switch coming after checking all wiring that Fred told me to look at. Hopefully this cures it.

9. Member
    Replaced key switch & same thing. Had to pull plug wires off to kill motor after key switch wouldn’t shut it off. Any suggestions guys?

10. Member
    The black yellow wire is not connecting to ground between the key switch and the engine.

11. Member
    bighare thanks. I’ll give it a try, but I checked them unless I missed something it appeared to be good. I’ll check them again though. Thanks

12. Member
    I didn't see anything wrong with the black/yellow wire so i checked it for continuity. Didn't have key switch hooked up, but had continuity from where wire starts at switch all the way to where it plugs into the power pack with it unplugged at powerpack. After thinking about it i've had an issue for a while now i've been trying to figure out why it seems like a cylinder dropping out when running wot & then being able to let off & it pick right back up. I was losing around 300 rpm when doing this & i could repeat it at any time. Now it's running perfect & not doing this. I'm suspecting the power pack & wondered if the kill circuit doing this could be linked to it too? Starts & runs perfect now except that it won't shut off after new solenoid & key switch install. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

13. Member
    Check across the key switch between the black wire and black yellow wire terminals on the key switch. In the off position you should have continuity. If yes, then suspect an open circuit in the power pack for the black yellow wire.

14. Member
    I figured it out. The black/white wire at the back side of the deusch plug was broken & not completely into. Started bypassing wires with a jumper to check them & when i did this one it worked fine so fixed that & it works perfect now. Glad i asked you guys so i didn't throw money away on a power pack. Thanks guys.

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar