Angry Ultrex trolling motor

Steering has let me down twice any help with this problem, thinking about going back to fotrex

2. Member
    You aren’t the first...I hear about this constantly
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

There is a service bulletin on the pressure sensors under the foot pedal. Contact Jones TM and they will hook you up
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Sensor board was upgraded to a new improved board in 2019. I have not seen any problems with the new board. You unfortunate fell into the tween deal. In Between old and new.

5. Member
    Cables on mine lock up where in goes into the control head. Makes it really difficult with my Bass Boat tech dual mount to get the stiff cable exactly right spot to not bind up. Really need wireless foot pedal

6. Member
    The cost of these things is what gets me. I have been mulling it over and when I read these and Many others like it, I want to stay away. Love the features but damn for $2300 they should have the bugs worked out of them. I have a Tour 109 thats about 12 years old and would hate to get to the lake and lose a day cause something kept breaking or electrical issues. I am old I guess to me stuff should just work better for the price.

7. Member
    If you own an ultrex you should have a spare steering board along with a spare set of steering cables on hand. Neither are extremely difficult to change out. Also change the pivot bushings on the bracket every year, also an easy job and the bushings are a buck a piece. Next cut the plastic sheathing off that contains the steering cables and power cable from the foot pedal and fix the cables up so they arent wrapped around each other, then cover up with a velcro neoprene cable wrap.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    If you own an ultrex you should have a spare steering board along with a spare set of steering cables on hand. Neither are extremely difficult to change out. Also change the pivot bushings on the bracket every year, also an easy job and the bushings are a buck a piece. Next cut the plastic sheathing off that contains the steering cables and power cable from the foot pedal and fix the cables up so they arent wrapped around each other, then cover up with a velcro neoprene cable wrap.
    Could not agree with this more. Sensor is $89.99 and a set of cables is about $40 and can save your day. Sensor takes about 15mins and cables 30-40 tops. We keep them in stock.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Good to know

10. Member
    These new TM's are cool but $$$ and I hear nothing but problems. Love my Fortrex. It's 8 or 10 years old and the only thing ever done to it is change props...
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

good thread
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    Wow. I’m not fond of the stiffness of the wrapped cable......but cutting it off? How many have done this? Definitely intrigued by the idea.

13. Member
    Take and cut the cover off of your cables. You will find a hell of a mess in there. Straighten them,the cables and the power wires out so that they lay neatly along side each other. Now is a good time to put your transducer cable inside also. Do all this with the mtr deployed if your trailer allows. You will need to extend the pedal as far away from the head unit to do this also. Once everything is as nice and neat as you can get it, use a troll jacket or other item such as to cover all the cables and wires. Then you can begin to position your foot pedal in the spot of your liking. To get the umbilical to lie us you wish, you can twist the foot pedal which will change the path the umbilical will take. Before you screw the pedal down, stow the mtr to see where it lies when stowed. You can twist left or right depending on why your set up requires or allows. This will really help but it takes a bit of time and patience. I did it the first time on my boat on the water as my trailer interferes with the mtr when deploying on it. Since I have helped a few guys get theirs done and they are all very pleased with the results. Bring a screwdriver with you out on the water so you can play with it. Nothing like getting it just how you like it and then being done with it.

14. Banned
    I don't seem to have an issue with my ultrex peddle...? I will agree for the price of these motors there shouldn't be as many issues as they have. I waited as long as possible to get one, and I just picked up a 2020 version this past summer. It's been working just fine, however, my confidence of this TM running trouble free is very low so I have my fortrex ready to go as a spare.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I don't seem to have an issue with my ultrex peddle...? I will agree for the price of these motors there shouldn't be as many issues as they have. I waited as long as possible to get one, and I just picked up a 2020 version this past summer. It's been working just fine, however, my confidence of this TM running trouble free is very low so I have my fortrex ready to go as a spare.
    Thats exactly what I did too been thinking on the ghost but kinda on the fence about it as well

16. Member
    I had the tour too, sometimes wish I had it back �� but it’s hard to beat the spot lock ( when it works )