Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620

How does a 200 XL perform?

Was wondering how well compared to a 201, that the 200 xl runs, Handling, speed, fishability?
    With a 225 Pro Xs on the back.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Low to mid 70s loaded. Best mine has ran is 74.6. Handling is fantastic, fishibility is great

3. Member
    The 200 PXL is awesome. If you have a chance to buy one in good condition, do not hesitate. Buy it immediately. I have had several and they all run 76-77 with the pro xs. It is a fast, dry, stable boat.

Handling is good, fishability is great, and the speed is awesome I'm still running my '05 225HO Rude and it's showing no signs of letting up. When I had it setup for speed, there wasn't a 201/250 that could keep up with me.

5. Member
    They are fast boats . Just as fast as the 201 or faster . That's what when Stratos sell's was low . They drop the 200 to help sales with the 201 . They kept the 201 and 294 . That what I was told .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    They are fast boats . Just as fast as the 201 or faster . That's what when Stratos sell's was low . They drop the 200 to help sales with the 201 . They kept the 201 and 294 . That what I was told .
    Ive heard rumors like this before and it alwasy blew my mind. Why would someone drop a boat because its selling to well??? If I'm a boat manufacture, I don't care 1 bit if its the 294, 200 or 201 that's selling, as long as I'm selling boats.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Ive heard rumors like this before and it alwasy blew my mind. Why would someone drop a boat because its selling to well??? If I'm a boat manufacture, I don't care 1 bit if its the 294, 200 or 201 that's selling, as long as I'm selling boats.
    A lot of 201 at the time even though we're rated for 250 a lot were being sold with 225 because they still ran so well and you could save a little I guess. Like said they were scaling back and I think the 200 as good as a boat that it was was just to close to a 201. The 294 was a great 19 footer and then the 201. I'm curios at the time you may have still been able to custom order one not sure.

8. Member
    What is everyone running for setups on their 200 ProXL? I bought the boat in June and finally got it set up with an 8" bob's as the detweiler that came on the boat wasn't cutting it, but it'll hit 65, but it over-revs if I go any higher.

So the boat came with a 27" Tempest Plus and a 27" Raker, but the Tempest is the only one I've run. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm thinking I'll put the raker on it and try it, but what's working for of you? Engine is a 225 Etec that seems to run like a scalded dog.
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

9. Member
    Try a 28 raker 2. The older Di’s and G1 etecs liked a big wheel prop.

Original 28 Raker is the best I've tried on mine so far - 2 3/4" below PTP. I'd be willing to be one of Mark's Razor 3's would do just as well. I'm running a 27 Razor 4 XL right now, and it fits my needs really well, except maybe it needs to be tuned back to a 26.

2005 200 Pro XL with 2005 225HO DI

11. Member
    I have a 27 tempest on mine. It was what was on it when I bought the boat, so I don't know what a prop shop could have done with it.
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    I have a 27 tempest on mine. It was what was on it when I bought the boat, so I don't know what a prop shop could have done with it.
    You don’t have any issues with over-revving? My 27P Tempest runs great, but as I mentioned it wants to over-rev on the top end. I guess I might need to get it re-worked.
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbasspro View Post
    You don’t have any issues with over-revving? My 27P Tempest runs great, but as I mentioned it wants to over-rev on the top end. I guess I might need to get it re-worked.
    I never have. Highest I've seen is 5800 with an empty boat on a summer morning. And I was well into the 70s at that time.
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

14. Member
    I had a 28" turbo on my 200 xl. 225etec ho. Hit 82 once. Great boat terrible motor.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Quote Originally Posted by vtbasspro View Post
    Bad prop or running to high ?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Bad prop or running to high ?
    Certainly possible that the prop needs help. I have a hydraulic Jackplate, so height shouldn’t be an issue, but measuring would eliminate that as an issue.
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

I've wanted one ever since I drew a boater that had one in a southern open, the 2 days before id been beat to death by the young guys in their fancy new rigs, then drew an older boater with an older boat with some real experience, I know the driver had alot to do with it but danged if that thing wouldn't run with the best of the them and had a smooth dry ride

18. Member
    I sold mine a couple years ago when I stepped away from guiding.

I had about 14 years behind the wheel of a 200 Pro XL on Lake St. Clair guiding 70-100 days a season. I had 2 of them, one an 03 with a 225 Evinrude H.O. and a hydraulic jackplate. It was by far the fastest of the 2 I had, ran 78-79 mph with a load by myself and 77 at will no matter the conditions. With 2 guys it would run 74-76. I ran that boat with a balanced Renegade 4 blade prop. I don't recall the pitch, 28 maybe?

My 07 with a 225 Pro XS was a bit slower. I ran it on a static jackplate and had to find a happy medium of performance and big water handling. The best I could do with the Merc was 77 and the conditions had to be perfect for it. Otherwise it was 74-75 and 72-73 with another guy. I ran a Mark Croxton worked 27 Tempest for tournaments and a 25 Trophy 4 blade for guiding.

Compared to a 201, I feel like the 200 was a bit more nimble on the top and when having to drive through rough water. The 201 though only 7 inches longer felt much bigger because the deck was wider and longer and it was easier to drive. I really liked the bigger deck on the 201. It wasn't a huge amount bigger but noticeable especially with clients on board. The 201 was also noticeably slow with the same HP, toping out at 72-73 for me on the one I ran. It had a 225 E-Tec HO. Numbers with a 250 would be higher.

What I really loved about the 200 though was driving it, it was a fun boat to drive on the top end. And when it came to rough water it held its own compared to other larger boats. Not sure what they did with the hull design but when hitting waves the with back half of the boat it felt very cushiony as opposed to other hulls that almost slap the water. It made it very comfortable to drive. When the waves were a bit smaller and I could keep it trimmed down, it did a great job of cutting through good chop. When things got super big, the nimbleness of the boat made running the troughs of the waves really easy. I recall a day on Lake Erie where the wind picked up out of the NE and the waves got big enough you couldn't see over the tops and we had to get out and run back 40 miles, I was able to get on place and surf the waves down into the troughs and run at a pretty good clip till I got to the North shore of Erie to get out of the wind.

It was a fun boat to own, I miss it at times, but truth be told, even for how good it was, my next boat will be a walleye style boat. I love bass fishing, but where I live, its mostly big water for me, and after 12 years of guiding, running the big water in a bass boat got a bit old.

Overall, i'd say the 200 was arguably the best hull they had overall.

19. Member
    been running my 2006 200 pro xl with a 225 etech like a borrowed mule. Got over 1400 hours on the motor and still run 73 with a full tournament load. Just put a 225g2 on it and am waiting to see what I can get our of it, etech still running, just wore slam out. When i first bought the boat, i was getting 79.8 gps. Great fishing rig and also very dry. I'd put mine up against anything out there as far as durability, fishability and any others running a 225 as far as speed goes as well.