My Ultrex Hunts, Drifts and Creaks

I have a brand new Ultrex 24v 80/45 ipilot link on my new Nitro Z-18. The whole rig is new, delivered on October 7th. When I put the Ultrex in NAV mode with constant power it will constantly "hunt" trying to keep the right direction. This happens especially at lower speed, less than 3 on the speed control dial. It maintains the correct direction, but is constantly correcting itself. It also has a tendency to do this in Spot Lock in low wind conditions it does not hold spot lock position very well. When all this is going on, it is making a creaking noise. I have read about the bushing issues, but this is a brand new unit!

This is my second Ultrex, I had a 36v on a previous boat. It did not have any of these issues.

Any suggestions? I have done the offset and drive in circle exercise. Are there any other settings I can make adjustments to?

thanks

Pat
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 11-29-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

2. Member
    Make sure you do the boat size adjustment. Keep in mind, different boat and thrust of the motor. If it is hunting (acting nervous) usually needs to go at least 1 step lower. Like from 0 to -1 or -2
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-29-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Bob is correct on the setting issue. Also keep in mind that the Ultrex as does all the I-pilot or I-pilot links have a very hard time keeping you positioned and tracking at speeds lower than 3

4. Member
    Try changing the Autopilot to "Legacy" mode.

Your ultrex manual will explain it better, but the enhanced iPilot draws a line and wants to stay directly on that line, so if you're blown off the line it will try to get back to that line then continue on its path. Legacy mode just keeps your boat headed in the same direction, wind/current can move you sideways but your boat will stay going the same heading.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Hey Pat!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try them out this Wednesday.

Any suggestion on the "creaking" or the spot lock not holding position?

Hey Jeff!
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

7. Member
    If spot lock is not holding position than You may have a bad GPS. I have seen some do this. Creaking may be coming from the mount. Bes thing to do is have someone move the foot pradl while you put a calibrated ear to the unit.

8. Member
    Tell you what I do for the “creak.” Took my Lowrance out of the bow and found the nylon thread nuts on the bottom of the tm mount needed tightening. After that I used powdered graphite where the adjustment collar mounts on the shaft. Solved the problem but still periodically have to use the graphite.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Make sure you do the boat size adjustment. Keep in mind, different boat and thrust of the motor. If it is hunting (acting nervous) usually needs to go at least 1 step lower. Like from 0 to -1 or -2
    This did the trick, adjusted to -1 and it is much better. Spotlock also seems to be doing better. I tightened up some screws and the creaks are less also. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired