Reel seat repair

I just realized that the reel seat and cork on one of my rods is loose and can rotate a bit. Is there anything simple I can do to repair it? I am not a rod builder. Am I better off taking it to a professional? Thanks!

2. Member
    Here is a fix I have used. Carefully drill a 1/8 inch hole in the reel seat. Go slow, drill just through the reel seat making sure you do not drill into the blank. Do the same a couple of places on the cork handle. Mix up some epoxy, suck it up in a syringe, inject it into the holes and slightly twist reel seat and cork back and forth to help deposit/spread the epoxy. cover the holes with tape and let the epoxy set. I prefer 30 minute or longer set time for the epoxy so I'm not rushed. Usually I drill the hole on the reel seat so that the reel foot covers the hole. If you want you can shape plugs for the holes in the cork from spare cork. Think the process through as to where all the holes will be in relation to how you hold and cast.

3. Member
    I've had the same problem with a couple of older Lamiglass rods and tried working in epoxy from the edges of the reel seat with mixed results .
    Thanks for sharing this awesome idea !

4. Goby King
    I've repaired a few by drilling holes in the seat. I drill them where they will be hidden once the reel is installed. Like said above, inject epoxy while spinning the seat.

Drill holes in the seat (hardest part is not going into the rod blank - go SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW), thin CA glue works awesome... drill the holes in the top of the seat and position the seat correctly. Takes about 2 seconds for the CA to be rock solid.

6. Member
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will give it a try this week. Luckily it is a cheap rod, so I want be too mad if I drill into the blank.

7. Member
    Did the repair this afternoon. Pretty sure I put a dimple or two in the blank when the drill bit punched through the plastic. Not bad though, I'm not worried about it. The reel seat seems to be firmly attached. Thanks again!

8. Member
    I have done many that way and have nicked one or two myself. Has never been a problem. Glad to hear you took it on yourself.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets