24v vs 36v Bassport Pro

I’ve been looking for a while and was wondering if anyone has gone to the new brushless 24v systems (Force and Ghost) as a capable alternative to the 36v Ultrex on this hull. I would need it to basically perform all day in a tournament situation. Seems like on a hull this light, 36v may be overkill, and the new 24v systems are not much behind the Ultrex 36 in power. Would be nice to have one less battery.

i personally think 36v is over kill. especially if you have the stealth charging system. i have one 24v 50ah lithium with a stealth charger and fish everyday in the summer and never plug my boat in. i have yet to kill the battery.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    I try to avoid brushless motors in my tools, you can rebuild a dewalt 20v drill for a few bucks if it has brushes, a brushless motor takes a dump... the drill is garbage. A quick search shows you can get a complete kits to overhaul a minn kota trolling motor for under $30. You can't buy the replacement motor for a Garmin force, an authorized service center can replace it at who knows what cost. I can't find anything for the Lowrence. I am not saying brushless motors don't have any advantages, they do, but I'd rather a serviceable motor than the advantages given by the others. The biggest reason I didn't look at the other trolling motors is because they aren't good for saltwater.... I like the Lowrence head units, and they are cheaper than humminbird, I may have went that direction if it was saltwater rated.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I try to avoid brushless motors in my tools, you can rebuild a dewalt 20v drill for a few bucks if it has brushes, a brushless motor takes a dump... the drill is garbage. A quick search shows you can get a complete kits to overhaul a minn kota trolling motor for under $30. You can't buy the replacement motor for a Garmin force, an authorized service center can replace it at who knows what cost. I can't find anything for the Lowrence. I am not saying brushless motors don't have any advantages, they do, but I'd rather a serviceable motor than the advantages given by the others. The biggest reason I didn't look at the other trolling motors is because they aren't good for saltwater.... I like the Lowrence head units, and they are cheaper than humminbird, I may have went that direction if it was saltwater rated.
    Have you used the 24 volt Ultrex on this boat? Is it enough?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    i personally think 36v is over kill. especially if you have the stealth charging system. i have one 24v 50ah lithium with a stealth charger and fish everyday in the summer and never plug my boat in. i have yet to kill the battery.
    I’m not familiar with the Stealth system. That pretty much solves the issue of 24 vs 36. I don’t need the power - I just don’t want to run out of juice.

I fish big open lakes that stay windy except when it's over a 100 degrees and you're begging for a breeze.
    It totally changed the way I fished after going 36 volts. Running out of juice cost me more than one tournament from running out of battery. As for the Bassport-- 3 50ah lithium will fit up front-- been using them for 16 months and have yet to get below 35%-- wind was gusting to 40 that day.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I fish big open lakes that stay windy except when it's over a 100 degrees and you're begging for a breeze.
    It totally changed the way I fished after going 36 volts. Running out of juice cost me more than one tournament from running out of battery. As for the Bassport-- 3 50ah lithium will fit up front-- been using them for 16 months and have yet to get below 35%-- wind was gusting to 40 that day.
    I fish the same - that’s why I’m asking. Sounds like you could use the system noted above that charges the trolling batteries.

I had one of the early models that even charged off truck while towing. They had issues.! The worst being the charge time cycle. I ruined two batteries before we figured out why.
    It would charge start battery first for minimum of 5 minutes if it was full it then charged troll battery 1 for 5 minutes before switching to second troll batteries. VERY seldom would the last battery ever get charged on an Allison when changing spots.
    I know they have came a long way since then but I have zero issues since going 36 volts and always stay the night where charging outlets are available.
    I will say the new ones would be a good addition to have.

9. Member
    I wouldn’t go any other way than 36 volt. I fish rivers almost exclusively and when you want to stay in the current I hate coming up short. I believe for a given amount of trust the 36 volt is more efficient. And if you can swing the cost of lithium batteries then weight is not an issue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    I wouldn’t go any other way than 36 volt. I fish rivers almost exclusively and when you want to stay in the current I hate coming up short. I believe for a given amount of trust the 36 volt is more efficient. And if you can swing the cost of lithium batteries then weight is not an issue.
    If it’s not Lithium, will this boat hold three batteries in the usual place in the center compartment?

look in the back left compartment up towards the outside of the hull. you may have a stealth charger. the great thing about that troller is you can try 24v and see if it works. if not you can go 36v. you can also play around and see if you can get away with one, two, or three batteries. check out a few lithium battery manufacturers. they all sell different voltages and capacities.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    look in the back left compartment up towards the outside of the hull. you may have a stealth charger. the great thing about that troller is you can try 24v and see if it works. if not you can go 36v. you can also play around and see if you can get away with one, two, or three batteries. check out a few lithium battery manufacturers. they all sell different voltages and capacities.
    Thanks! All good info and much appreciated.

13. Member
    24 volt system/ Power Pole Charge/ 2 100 amp lithium trollers. You will never be without power. Of course all of these options are very costly so its a tough call. If money were not an issue this is the system I would go with even on my Eyra which as you know is about 400 lbs heavier than the Allison. From what I've seen with the Power Pole Charge it is the real deal. I only have experience with one boat that recently installed this system and it works. Good Luck sir and let us know what you go with.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

14. Member
    run the ghost on my xb2003 on 24v and it will hold me all day on anchor on lake erie in 20mph gust

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    24 volt system/ Power Pole Charge/ 2 100 amp lithium trollers. You will never be without power. Of course all of these options are very costly so its a tough call. If money were not an issue this is the system I would go with even on my Eyra which as you know is about 400 lbs heavier than the Allison. From what I've seen with the Power Pole Charge it is the real deal. I only have experience with one boat that recently installed this system and it works. Good Luck sir and let us know what you go with.
    So kind of my thinking exactly. I had an Eyra with a 24 volt system and conventional batteries for years. Fished tournaments all day and never had a power issue. I don’t need 36 v power, I just need longevity. The newer systems may offer exactly that with one less battery. All good advice on here - good thread.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    I personally run 36v but I rig and install all of the above, whatever meets the customer needs. 24v is sufficient for most situations but you can never have too much power!

of the 2 brushless options, I prefer the Ghost over the Force.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I personally run 36v but I rig and install all of the above, whatever meets the customer needs. 24v is sufficient for most situations but you can never have too much power!

of the 2 brushless options, I prefer the Ghost over the Force.
    I think the new Lowrance live scan may make this combo kind of a no brainer.