Thread: nema 2k helix

nema 2k helix

Any suzuki guys running nema 2k on a helix? The helix and the suzuki are both new to me. gen 3. i have all the cables dealer installed. i just don't know how to change the data. And or what suzuki will actually share.

2. Member
    I'm running NMEA and the C10 gauges. I haven't linked it to my Helix. You need a NMEA adapter from Humminbird but I think it's pretty easy to add. NMEA is all about the "backbone" the T connectors that feed to all the different sensors.

As far as data, I get everything I could ever want. Engine hours, RPMs, Fuel used, Fuel rate, Speed (if you have a gps puck), trim/tilt, voltage etc. The C10 gauges aren't perfect but they're great, I can customize exactly what I want to see. The only downside is that they take time to "boot up". Last year I obtained a module that lets the NMEA be powered up from multiple different sources. That way when I turn on my boat power (for pumps, fish finders etc.) it will power the system, in addition to my ignition. I've just been lazy and will probably get my dealer to install during my yearly service.

I had all the nema dealer installed. i really wanted the fuel data, not level, but use. and hours. im not to sure that these can be seen on helix. Not much info out there. i think the solex you can see everything.

The c10 gauge how does it connect to engine? if i could find a round one i would be plenty happy with it to be honest.

5. Member
    Engine data transmitted to network by Suzuki engines is done via the Suzuki engine interface cable, and the following data is available (SMG4 gauges are a little different though):

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used.

Engines with Fly-By-Wire digital throttle control also get transmission gear.

You can also get additional sensors including water speed, water pressure, fluid levels, and water temperature to add to your network or engine.

But of course it “takes 2 to tango”, and which of that data the ‘Bird will show will depend on the ‘bird capability, not the Suzuki.

One thing IMPORTANT to note is that the Suzuki interface is made by Navico which as you know makes Lowrance and Simrad. What that means is that there are certain things that ONLY Lowrance or Simrad made displays can do with Suzuki engines.

That includes the initial configuration of the network to tell it how many engines and fuel tanks its dealing with. Normally the initial configuration would be done by the Suzuki dealer when the network is installed, they attach a C10 or SMIS gauge to the network temporarily, then do the config, and then take the C-10 off. Its a 10 minute job max. The network holds the config after that.

So would be best to have the dealer do that for you unless you can borrow a C10 or SMIS or LMF400 etc from someone.

After that, after its operational, resetting fuel used and trip fuel data can also only be done on a Lowrance/Simrad/Suzuki display.

So fuel data could be an issue if Humminbird dont have their own internal fuel memory setup that can be used instead of the Suzuki (Garmin works that way).

I know virtually nothing about Humminbird and their NMEA2000 capability. So cant help you there.

Im pretty sure im gonna put a c10 in and call it a day. one thing about helix, you cant split the screen. so c10 is best option i think.

7. Member
    By the way, While C10 is square, it fits into a standard round gauge hole. Its probably your best option to be honest.

The old Suzuki SMIS 4” gauge is round, but its seriously old 1990’s monochrome technology and it hasnt had a software update for over 5 years, so its compatibility with 2015 and newer Suzuki outboards is flaky at best, and is NOT recommended. Several major dealers refuse to fit them with new engines as a result.

yup. my holes are recessed in carbon fiber, but i think i can get it to fit.

9. Member
    Ok. Let me know if you need any help with configuration etc once you get it installed. Its easy but needs to be done “right”.

Networking suzuki 250ss to a garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Engine data transmitted to network by Suzuki engines is done via the Suzuki engine interface cable, and the following data is available (SMG4 gauges are a little different though):

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim, fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used.

Engines with Fly-By-Wire digital throttle control also get transmission gear.

You can also get additional sensors including water speed, water pressure, fluid levels, and water temperature to add to your network or engine.

But of course it “takes 2 to tango”, and which of that data the ‘Bird will show will depend on the ‘bird capability, not the Suzuki.

One thing IMPORTANT to note is that the Suzuki interface is made by Navico which as you know makes Lowrance and Simrad. What that means is that there are certain things that ONLY Lowrance or Simrad made displays can do with Suzuki engines.

That includes the initial configuration of the network to tell it how many engines and fuel tanks its dealing with. Normally the initial configuration would be done by the Suzuki dealer when the network is installed, they attach a C10 or SMIS gauge to the network temporarily, then do the config, and then take the C-10 off. Its a 10 minute job max. The network holds the config after that.

So would be best to have the dealer do that for you unless you can borrow a C10 or SMIS or LMF400 etc from someone.

After that, after its operational, resetting fuel used and trip fuel data can also only be done on a Lowrance/Simrad/Suzuki display.

So fuel data could be an issue if Humminbird dont have their own internal fuel memory setup that can be used instead of the Suzuki (Garmin works that way).

I know virtually nothing about Humminbird and their NMEA2000 capability. So cant help you there.
    You seem to know your stuff. Can you split screen GPS and engine data on a garmin echomap ultra 102sv or 122sv?

11. Member
    I am not a Garmin expert. Simrad and Lowrance are my familiar territory.

That said, almost all MFD’s these days can split screens and be set up to have whatever data you want on either side. I would be surprised, indeed shocked, if those Garmin displays couldn’t also do that.