Thread: Seat removal

Seat removal

After seeing some of the responses to my fuel gauge thread, I'm thinking of replacing the sending unit, running new wiring and if needed replace the gauge itself to make sure I'm confident of the fuel level. After seeing bassboat1 response, I'd probably put a Perko check valve in at the same time. To do this I need to remove my seats to expose the tank. The boat is a '93 372V withe the original bench seating. Has anyone anyone done this or knows how to do it? I can use some helpful ideas on this project.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

2. Member
    Most Rangers, you pull out the center foam piece from each seat back. Velcro’d in. Screws behind that. Not sure on your model.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

I can't be certain that your 1993 372 is the same as my old 1991 390, but here's how I removed the bench seat on my boat. The bottom of the bench is held in place by brackets underneath the seat that fits into clips. You have to get on your knees in front of the seat, right in front of where each person would sit. Then, using the heel of your hand, press in really hard on the front edge of the seat bottom. When you push in far enough, the seat should pop upward slightly because the bracket has come free of the clip. Do this same thing on the other side. Installing the seat is the same procedure, but pushing in on the front of the seat and slightly downward so the bracket engages the clip. This will make more sense when you get the seat out and can see the mounting brackets and clips underneath.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    behind the bench seat, the flaps on the driver and passenger headrest lift up. From the rear deck. Lift the flaps and unscrew the 6 screws, then tilt forward toward the bow of the boat. then lift to remove from the catches under the front of the bench seat.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

5. Member
    Thanks Jeff, I'll try that.
    apenland01, I don't have head rests so I think you're talking about a different style seat.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteprinter View Post
    Thanks Jeff, I'll try that.
    apenland01, I don't have head rests so I think you're talking about a different style seat.
    Coyote,
    If your 372 has a bench seat like my 1990 362 then the seat portion and the back rest are 2 separate pieces. I have taken my seat cushion out as described in post #3 above. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the backrest out. By design, my backrest does not have the flaps that lift up. There are some hidden anchors somewhere....I just need to find them. I'm in need of new foam after 30 years.

Here is a pic of my bench seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Texas Rig; 12-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.

7. Member
    Texas Rig, that is exactly the seat I have down to the color. I will try the procedure that Jeff Hahn described in #3. If I figure out anything with the seat back, I will be sure to pass it on. Thanks for your input.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

8. Member
    This is my original seat and the same seat after getting recovered. There are flaps that lift behind the seat and there are 3 screws that retain the bench seat to the boat. In the front, on the bottom, there are two large clips/flanges that lock the seat to the beat on the front bottom. If you can't get your seat to release, check that you don't have the flaps on the rear of the seat with the hidden screws. If you have the flaps, you may have to pry them up if they haven't been released in a long time. In any event, good luck in your project and I hope you figure it out soon.

1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteprinter View Post
    Texas Rig, that is exactly the seat I have down to the color. I will try the procedure that Jeff Hahn described in #3. If I figure out anything with the seat back, I will be sure to pass it on. Thanks for your input.
    Great, we're on the same page. Be prepared to apply force to the seat section for it to release from the clips. I push down and back to get the seat to lift up. I have a compartment on the starboard side of the back rest that may hold the key (anchor point) for the backrest. I will investigate and let you know.

Apenland,
    Your 492 was my dream rig and I bet you smile in that 2-3 foot chop. The 300 series had a different seat construction than the 400 series.

11. Member
    Thanks, it's a great boat and it's gotten me home in some crap for sure. I didn't realize the 300 and 400 boats had different seat designs. Good luck guys...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Rig View Post
    Coyote,
    If your 372 has a bench seat like my 1990 362 then the seat portion and the back rest are 2 separate pieces. I have taken my seat cushion out as described in post #3 above. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the backrest out. By design, my backrest does not have the flaps that lift up. There are some hidden anchors somewhere....I just need to find them. I'm in need of new foam after 30 years.

Here is a pic of my bench seat.
    I sold my 390 in 2001, so this is purely from my faint memory. But, I think that after you take out the bottom of the bench seat, there may be a couple of screw holding the back of the seat to the rear deck. It’s also possible that there are a couple of brackets screwed to the back deck that the back of the seat fits into. Somewhere in my basement is a handout I got at the Ranger Product Knowledge Tour in the late 1990’s that shows how to remove the seats in all their models of that era. I’ll see if I can find it and maybe the Moderator can post it to the stocky at the top of the page.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    That would be awesome.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Not sure if this will help......

Update: I found the handout regarding the seats that I mentioned above. Turns out, it’s about how to install the seats in the different models...where to drill, what size bit to use, what size and type of screws to,use, etc. This handout must have been designed for dealers. Sorry.

16. Member
    I appreciate everything you've done to help me. Thanks
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v