Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xpress H 17 water leak

Ok I cant find where its coming in at. I have put new hoses in for the live well, in, out and over flow is all it has. I have filled live well no leaks. I have lifted the boat off the trailer so I can see under where the loading pads are. Filled the boat with water to see where it might leak. Nothing, now I can put it in the water and Wala we have water, Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Bert
    Still chasing the green fish

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Does it have a keelguard ? This was hiding under mine. Looking for a (bbcboards.net)
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

3. Member
    My brand new x19 leaked on day one. It took a while but I found that the crimp on hose clamps leaked and I got the dealer to replace them with the screw type. Must have had 8 or so and some are hard to get to. Not a drop of water since.
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

No sir it dosent, I bought the boat used plan on putting one on though. Thanks for the suggestion Arkyarcher

Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    My brand new x19 leaked on day one. It took a while but I found that the crimp on hose clamps leaked and I got the dealer to replace them with the screw type. Must have had 8 or so and some are hard to get to. Not a drop of water since.

Already done that with new hoses, thanks for the suggestion thouigh

Check the lower set of transom bolts for the motor/jackplate. They should be sealed with silicon sealant.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

7. Member
    Also if you have the Mayfair twist and lock cartridge pumps make sure the o-rings are good, mine had a bad o-ring and took on water.

8. Member
    My 2012 X 17 had weld beads that were not ground smooth where the drain plug went in, always had to really tighten it down. Also possibly where the transom cap laps down on the transom. Its not welded solid and some have enough gap the water comes in when you slow down, fixed mine with silicon adhesive

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin-It View Post
    Ok I cant find where its coming in at. I have put new hoses in for the live well, in, out and over flow is all it has. I have filled live well no leaks. I have lifted the boat off the trailer so I can see under where the loading pads are. Filled the boat with water to see where it might leak. Nothing, now I can put it in the water and Wala we have water, Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Bert

My drainplug hole wasn't completely round and would never seal. It was new though....
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

I just don't know what to do!! I have checked everything I can, It only leaks when I put the boat in the water I don't know if its the pressure making it leak because I have filled it with water and no leaks. Any help is appreciated

11. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Might be bottom bolts, caulk could have made a flap that allows water in but not out. Worth pulling out and resealing so you know that ain't it.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

12. Member
    When you say " it only leaks when I put the boat in the water", do you mean while it is sitting at the dock, waiting for you to park the trailer? Or, do you notice the water in the boat after you have run it down the lake a little ways? Is there a lot of water, like the drain plug wasn't in or is it just enough water in the bilge to make you mad?

I have a 2005 X21 that had little leaks that made me mad for the first 5 years that I owned the boat, but only if I ran the big motor. If I fished all day with just the trolling motor, it stayed dry inside. Eventually I track down 3 problems...

1) When taking off, the back of the boat would squat down to the point the water would be spraying out from under the gunnels. I ran a bead of silicone along the joint of the hull sides and the under side of the gunnel, from the back of the seats to the end caps, and that cut down a lot of the water that was getting inside the boat. But, it did not stop all the water.

2) Next, I noticed when I came down off plane and stopped the boat, I would get a large wave that would wash over the splash well and get into the bilge area. I traced this to the bilge pump; it only pushes water out, it doesn't stop water from running down the hose and out the bottom of the pump. In the splash well, I put a plug in the bilge pump outlet and that stopped most of my problem for a while.

3) The final fix came when my speedo stopped working. I found a splice in the speedo hose that had come apart. I fixed the splice and no more water... until the speedo stopped working again! I found ANOTHER splice in the hose that had blown apart! This time I replaced the whole speedo hose and no more leaks for the past 10 years.

One other thing you might try. I had a welded Fisher Marine boat prior to my Xpress that developed a leak. I put water inside the hull and waited to see where it leaked. Like you, I couldn't find a leak. Then I got a paper towel and wiped each weld joint that I could find and surprise! I found a damp spot. The water wasn't leaking out fast enough to form a drop that I could see, but the weld did get damp. With a very bright light, you could just barely make out a hairline crack in the weld. I had it re-welded and no more leaks.

I hope this helps you find your leak.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CV_X21 View Post
    When you say " it only leaks when I put the boat in the water", do you mean while it is sitting at the dock, waiting for you to park the trailer? Or, do you notice the water in the boat after you have run it down the lake a little ways? Is there a lot of water, like the drain plug wasn't in or is it just enough water in the bilge to make you mad?

I have a 2005 X21 that had little leaks that made me mad for the first 5 years that I owned the boat, but only if I ran the big motor. If I fished all day with just the trolling motor, it stayed dry inside. Eventually I track down 3 problems...

1) When taking off, the back of the boat would squat down to the point the water would be spraying out from under the gunnels. I ran a bead of silicone along the joint of the hull sides and the under side of the gunnel, from the back of the seats to the end caps, and that cut down a lot of the water that was getting inside the boat. But, it did not stop all the water.

2) Next, I noticed when I came down off plane and stopped the boat, I would get a large wave that would wash over the splash well and get into the bilge area. I traced this to the bilge pump; it only pushes water out, it doesn't stop water from running down the hose and out the bottom of the pump. In the splash well, I put a plug in the bilge pump outlet and that stopped most of my problem for a while.

3) The final fix came when my speedo stopped working. I found a splice in the speedo hose that had come apart. I fixed the splice and no more water... until the speedo stopped working again! I found ANOTHER splice in the hose that had blown apart! This time I replaced the whole speedo hose and no more leaks for the past 10 years.

One other thing you might try. I had a welded Fisher Marine boat prior to my Xpress that developed a leak. I put water inside the hull and waited to see where it leaked. Like you, I couldn't find a leak. Then I got a paper towel and wiped each weld joint that I could find and surprise! I found a damp spot. The water wasn't leaking out fast enough to form a drop that I could see, but the weld did get damp. With a very bright light, you could just barely make out a hairline crack in the weld. I had it re-welded and no more leaks.

I hope this helps you find your leak.
    Definitely something to look at I have experienced some of the same with mine. Bought new in 01

Quote Originally Posted by mittenbass View Post
    Check the lower set of transom bolts for the motor/jackplate. They should be sealed with silicon sealant.
    Yes sir I did that this ,,still leaking,, acts if its comming from the front past gas tank

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Definitely something to look at I have experienced some of the same with mine. Bought new in 01

Yes sir I did the motor mount bolts this week still leaks,, Put a coark in the beilge pump out it helped a lil.But all I have to do is put the boat in the water not running just off the trailer. Like I said I put a tarp under the boat filled with water no leakes I just dont know

16. Banned
    I always wet the drainplug first then crank it down good ( twist style) no leaks. I did have a loose livewell overflow hose soon after I got the boat and the backwash going down the bilge pump outlet but that was it. Keep looking you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I always wet the drainplug first then crank it down good ( twist style) no leaks. I did have a loose livewell overflow hose soon after I got the boat and the backwash going down the bilge pump outlet but that was it. Keep looking you will find it.
    I pluged those holes all up and still leaks

Ok how about this,, has anyone had problems fishing Brackish water ,,, the runners with carpet holds water to the bottom of the boat causing oxidation and eating a hole in the bottom of the boat??

19. Member
    My first Xpress I bought new in May 2001 and sold it in November 2011 using it in brackish water and worked the BP oil spill 7 days a week and did not experience leaking nor the problem you described. If brackish water and salt water created the problem you would think my boat would have had it.

My second Xpress was a 2018 H17 delivered new in January 2018 and traded in Jan 2020 for my current boat. It leaked when I first got it but dealer found a cracked pvc fitting on the bilge pump. Replaced the fitting and solved the problem.

I hope the OP gets the problem resolved soon.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 01-02-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Ok how about this,, has anyone had problems fishing Brackish water ,,, the runners with carpet holds water to the bottom of the boat causing oxidation and eating a hole in the bottom of the boat??
    Last edited by Cousin-It; 01-03-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: doubled posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast