Winterization question

Hey folks. I live in Central TX. Supposed to drop below freezing Monday night. I'm a first time boat owner so I'm just seeking advice on what to do with the freezing/cold temps.

It's a fiberglass Triton. I keep it outside with a tarp over it. What do i need to do to prepare for the freezing temps? Last time I fished & ran it was about 3 weeks ago. I don't particularly want to winterize it because I plan on using it several times throughout December. Advice appreciated! Thanks.

How cold will it get? Tilt the motor all the way down to drain any water in it. Lower unit lube should be good even if you had a bad seal and water intrusion unless you get teens for lows.

3. Member
    Supposed to drop to 27.

4. Member
    if your tomorrow temp climb back up, then I would just put a cover over the boat, and motor and call it a night ! If sustained I would make sure you don't have any sitting water anywhere in the boat ! The motor should be fine as long as you did a tilt down, and up at the ramp, or house to clear any residual water in the motor ! If it bothers you put a regular light bulb in the back of the boat, it will throw enough heat to stop damage!

5. Member
    Sounds good! Thanks guys

6. Member
    make sure motor all the way down and livewells empty cannot stay cold very long down there!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Also depending on the livewell setup you might want to flip open and valves and or pump out to insure there's no water in there
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    I have a 2003 ranger and have never winterized at all since I bought it in 2003 and I stored it outside with a cover until two ears ago I finally bought a shed from the amish builders. Pull you drain plug and put your live well on empty to drain any water in it as tere may be a little still in there. Lower the motor all the way down and give the prop a little spin to get arid of any water. All my friends who have bassboats never did winterize them and we have pretty bad winters here. I remember a few years temps got to single digits. Also you make sure that boat is covered from top to bottom....fenders, trailer, rims everything or it will FADE and get ugly on you. The sun is your enemy here, ask me how I know. Good luck and my advice is to start saving for a cheap amish shed or something to keep it out of the elements. about 7 grand or so and if it takes you 5 years to do it then do it.

9. Member
    Id also suggest your water psi gauge. The water in the line can freeze and bust the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    make sure motor all the way down and livewells empty cannot stay cold very long down there!!
    Yes it can but not Xenia cold , I'm from Georgia and years ago made a January trip to your town to get some equipment from Kelly Cresswell , it was 5 degrees and snowing .

11. Banned
    Is it just gonna be cold that night/day??? The last month of fishing here Ontario the over night low was like -8 to - 10. Just drain the water from lower unit and make sure you live wells are empty. If I'm still using my boat with these cold temps I don't do anything special. It's when I store for the winter that I winterize her.

12. #FRB
    Make sure to pull the plug if you're one of those people that leaves it in all the time.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I will add I flush my bilge system with RV antifreeze. Years ago I had the control valve freeze and it’s not in an easy place to replace.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois