Banned

Small gelcoat repairs...

Hey all, noticed a have a small chip just along side the keel of my black hull ranger. It's a decent, I can see the glass underneath. The area is hard so I don't suspect any water has gotten in. I was wondering if one those gelcoat repair kits will do the trip? There's one available from a company called eve coat marine. I'm wondering if this gelcoat gas wax in it so it will cure easy.

Thx alk

I would call Ranger, give them your hull number, and buy some matching gel putty, which is thicker and far easier to work with then straight gel. Since you're in Canada, it might just be easier to buy some black marinetex. Solid gel is a relatively easy DIY project.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I would call Ranger, give them your hull number, and buy some matching gel putty, which is thicker and far easier to work with then straight gel. Since you're in Canada, it might just be easier to buy some black marinetex. Solid gel is a relatively easy DIY project.
    It doesn't come in black.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    It doesn't come in black.
    Before I posted I googled black marinetex and got several hits...all were for black marinetex, but upon examining the links further, none were black! I'd go the Ranger route, then.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Before I posted I googled black marinetex and got several hits...all were for black marinetex, but upon examining the links further, none were black! I'd go the Ranger route, then.
    I filled the hole with jb water weld, I'm gonna just gel over the area. It's under the boat, no concerned about the look more to keep it sealed.

6. Member
    spectrum color sells patch paste kits. They don't carry Ranger colors but have many blacks. And not all blacks are the same.

7. Member
    Look at Russel Marine Products youtube page. They have a page on repairing gelcoat and I ordered all the products needed from Amazon and did mine myself. It was the rear lower corner of my Triton and it was also black. It came out beautiful and only cost me about a hundred bucks worth of material.
    Buddy Webster USN(retired)

2007 Triton TR-196 w/200 Optimax
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
    2003 Jeep Rubicon
    http://www.bbcboards.net/swap-sell/

8. Member
    I bought some direct from Ranger parts Dept for my 97 Ranger 397xt just a few years ago