225 4stroke running rough

Hello

Engine details:
    2019 Merc 4 stroke 225
    Serial #2B692086
    Just over 100 hours
    Service up to date

Last week this engine started running poorly. Felt like it's missing a cylinder or two. Would only get to about 3600 rpm.

Its showing no alarm codes on the vessel view display.

I checked plugs, and they look great.

It's going to be a while before my dealer can see it. Anything else I can check in the meantime? Will his computer show more than just the vessel view codes?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Fuel filter is where I would start, the new design has been a problem on the V6/V8 platform.

3. ourflat
    My pontoon boat have a similar issue and wasn’t throwing any codes either. After I installed a fuel water separator I discovered the problem was water in the fuel tank. This fall I pumped all the fuel out of the tank and vacuumed all the debris that was choking the fuel tank pickup. I also replaced the fuel tank poppet check valve on the tank.

The fact that you’re not throwing codes leads me to believe your problem is similar to what I had with my Merc 115HP 4S.

Frank

4. Member
    Just changed fuel filter a month ago. Fuel water separator looks clean.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

5. ourflat
    Do you have a poppet check valve on top of your fuel tank from the internal pickup tube? I purchased an external fuel pump from auto parts store to troubleshoot my problem. When I hooked up the fuel pump to drain my tank I could see the fuel line restriction.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoxg8r View Post
    Just changed fuel filter a month ago. Fuel water separator looks clean.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    They're one and the same in most cases, should not be multiple filters involved.

Visual inspection is wise... check for damaged plug wires, disconnected plug wires, etc.

Beyond that, the Basics: Compression, Spark, Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure, and G3 CDS Printouts/Diagnostics.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I do have a separate fuel / water separator between the tank and engine. It was installed by the dealer when he hung the engine. I'll do one more thorough visual inspection.
    Thanks for the help.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF a separate filter is installed in the boat, the filter UNDER the cowling is supposed to be removed, and replaced with a bypass fitting.

Remote Water Separating filters should include wiring for Water-in-Fuel notification.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    IF a separate filter is installed in the boat, the filter UNDER the cowling is supposed to be removed, and replaced with a bypass fitting.

Remote Water Separating filters should include wiring for Water-in-Fuel notification.
    Don I’m keen to understand why this is? I have both.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

10. Member
    Adequate filtration already exists under the cowl and additional filtration is not recommended as it can cause fuel restriction. Same protocol existed with the Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

In addition to the obvious performance-problems that can develop with a fuel supply restriction: Engine damage caused by fuel supply restrictions is not a "defect" in the engine.

Thank you
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

13. Member
    Just an update. Got it into the dealer. It was a bad plug wire. It looked good when I inspected it, but I guess it wasn't.

Thanks again for all your help