Thread: Tr18 setup

Tr18 setup

Is there anything I can do to get more out of my rig? I've seen some guys in the setups here turning bigger props getting mid to upper 60s.
    99 tr18
    08 150 optimax
    6" jack plate, can't raise it anymore without losing psi
    23 tempest plus worked down a touch
    62 at 5700 rpm
    23 tempest plus not worked
    Best I've seen was 63 at 5600 rpm.

I've done both of these solo and with 2 people, but the conditions have to be just right for both props to turn that. I do run a heavy load typically but could shave it down. I can always hit 58-60 no matter the load though.

Anybody know how those guys were running crazy top ends on these little hulls?

2. Member
    My "guess" is they aren't, at least not with an 08 150 Optimax. Every person I've talked to running that boat/motor combo is at best getting around 60-62mph. Not saying it CAN'T be done, just that it will take a BUNCH of tweeking and money to get to high 60's. IMHO...If you're above 60mph, you've pretty much maxxed it out.
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

What is your pad to prop measurement?

4. Member
    With your setup 62 mph is probably top preforming or close to it. I’ve never heard of a 150 hp motor on a 18 foot boat getting upper 60s. My experience with my last boat, TR186 with a 150 opti was 60 mph with all tweaked. 62 mph is very good with your setup IMO.

5. Member
    I'm not sure my prop to pad measurement exactly but if I raise it 1/8" and have 2 people in the boat I have to keep an eye on my water pressure at full trim or it could drop a little below 12.5 psi. Wasn't sure if there was something I was missing or not with multiple claims of turning a 25 pitch prop in the setups page. I guess they are either full of crap or running with nothing in the boat and no trolling motor.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41bass View Post
    I'm not sure my prop to pad measurement exactly but if I raise it 1/8" and have 2 people in the boat I have to keep an eye on my water pressure at full trim or it could drop a little below 12.5 psi. Wasn't sure if there was something I was missing or not with multiple claims of turning a 25 pitch prop in the setups page. I guess they are either full of crap or running with nothing in the boat and no trolling motor.
    FWIW, 3.5 inches PTP was the sweet spot on my previous boat with a similar set up. If 1/8 of an inch higher makes you start losing water pressure, you are obviously as high as you can go.

7. Member
    My 2008 tr186 with 150 optimax and 6" jack has never seen more than 61.3mph with no load and less than half a tank of gas. Two people and load is 57-58mph. You are getting good performance.

8. Member
    62 seems pretty good for that rig if you ask me.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS