General trolling motor questions

Hi,
    I currently do not have a trolling motor on my boat. It is 19' about 1800lbs, I use it in fresh water and salt. From what I have read a 24v trolling motor should be sufficient, I am thinking a Minn Kota Power Drive, I have a forward compartment in my boat where I could install two additional batteries, thinking g27 or g31, for simplicity I would like to install these separate from the current boat electronics and just charge them as needed from the house.
    What kind of run time can I get from a pair or batteries and is there much difference between g24, g27 and g31?
    For the Minn Kota how does spot lock work and what are the differences between the remotes?

2. Member
    Get the 31 series batteries with lots of reserve capacity. Charge them after every use. You may want to look at salt water trolling motors.

3. Member
    That sounds like a lot of weight up front.

4. Member
    Mac, you may already know but you defiantly want the Riptide models.(white saltwater models) freshwater units warranty will be voided if used in salt. FYI
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Mac, you may already know but you defiantly want the Riptide models.(white saltwater models) freshwater units warranty will be voided if used in salt. FYI
    THIS^^^. Salt water TM's do fine in fresh water. Fresh water TM's do not do well in salt water!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Thanks for the feedback, I should have said I was looking at the Riptide Powerdrive. Is it normal to have a setup like this completely stand alone not connected to the motor or house batteries? It would definitely be easier to install it this way on my boat.

7. Member
    Normally stand alone. If any electronics are hooked up in any way ( even grounding) is inviting interference. Bob

8. Member
    Does it matter if the mount for the trolling is not level, can the trolling motor compensate for the mount being 20 degrees or so higher in the front than the rear? saying it another way can the motor tilt beyond 90 degrees from where it is stowed?

9. Member
    I would think no. The shaft needs to be vertical to work properly. The minn kota site has manuals with install instructions.