Bass boat certificate

Thinking of purchasing a ranger bass boat certificate. I've searched all the posts on here but my question is has anyone went through cabelas to order it? Will they do it? Cabelas is the closest "ranger" dealer to me. I've heard some dealers don't care to assist in the process as they don't make a lot on it. With cabelas being a big box store, figured they might help out a little more in the process.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I could be wrong but id assume they would help out less. Just my opinion though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zred View Post
    Thinking of purchasing a ranger bass boat certificate. I've searched all the posts on here but my question is has anyone went through cabelas to order it? Will they do it? Cabelas is the closest "ranger" dealer to me. I've heard some dealers don't care to assist in the process as they don't make a lot on it. With cabelas being a big box store, figured they might help out a little more in the process.
    BE PREPARED TO BE RAKED OVER THE COALS!
    You get EXACTLY what is on the certificate, nothing more. Everything you need or want to upgrade will cost you dearly.

4. Member
    So I have never won a cert myself, but have had some close friends who did. My simple answer would be to try and buy a certificate for the exact boat you wish to have; I would be very careful buying one to try and use as credit towards a bigger rig.

Long Answer: Lets say you buy a cert for a 518 w/Merc 200 worth "$40k" and you only pay $35k. You will get that exact same rig with the cert and you paid $35k....congrats! But if you spend the $35k thinking you now have $40k credit towards a 520....YOU DON"T!!! You may only have $30-32K towards the bigger rig, depending on Ranger, and your dealer going through the trouble of dealing with the cert. So you could go backwards by using a cert. On a positive note, those certs sometimes really get cheap as we get closer to Christmas; so for the right deal, I might go for it?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

5. Member
    I was very close to buying one a few years back. The winner of the tx/seller of the certificate was sponsored by the dealer that put on the tournament he won it at. He was even a close friend of the owner of the dealer. It was a fire sale price but after a few calls to the dealer it became clear it wasn't worth the headache. The certificate was actually separate certificates for a motor from Merc, a hull from Ranger, and the seller had the TM and electronics new in the box. The dealer flat out told me he wasn't interested at all but would reluctantly do it, for a grossly inflated price over standard rigging and a slug of added "fees" to "make it worth his time". This all may have very well been true for him, but it made it very difficult for the seller/winner to sell the certificate. He openly said he didn't make "any money" on the deal otherwise. Keep in mind, this is the SAME dealer that sponsored the trail and tournament, as well as angler that the "boat"/certificate was won at, and he still wanted nothing to do with it. That was my experience, and it wasn't worth it for me.
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

6. Member
    dealers hate them because there is no money in them folks that buy them do it on the cheap thinking its a great deal then dont want to spend what it takes to make it a running boat. smart banks wont loan money on them because you have nothing but a piece of paper saying a boat will be built at some time. with the back log of boats giveaway boats are not very high on the rush boats to be built.

Buying a boat certificate has limitations, as others have pointed out, above. However, I would NEVER EVER go through Cabela's. I have read lots of posts on BBC of guys buying a Ranger at Cabela's and none we happy with their experience. In short, compared to a regular marine, dealer, Cabela's employees didn't give a crap if you were happy or not. I'd drive many hours to go through a small marine dealer, rather than a Cabela's across the street.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    less and less Ranger dealers around and the product has suffered. I have owned a Ranger for 30 years and it has changed and not for the good

9. Member
    there is not less an less ranger dealers there is less boat dealers it is a tough business to remain in as far as the product suffering they are still always in the top three as far as units sold an generally the most expensive doesnt seem to have a shortage of good buyers.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Buying a boat certificate has limitations, as others have pointed out, above. However, I would NEVER EVER go through Cabela's. I have read lots of posts on BBC of guys buying a Ranger at Cabela's and none we happy with their experience. In short, compared to a regular marine, dealer, Cabela's employees didn't give a crap if you were happy or not. I'd drive many hours to go through a small marine dealer, rather than a Cabela's across the street.
    Made the mistake of buying my Nitro at a cabelas, the dealer is worthless. Only problem is around here the other boat dealers jacked up prices and offered bad trade in value due to the lack of competition around here. Getting a no haggle price was the only way to get a fair deal.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    cabelas is the only place around here that you can buy one all the old ranger dealers are selling other brands

I would not pay more than 50 cents on the dollar for a certificate for a boat , just not worth it .

I would contact Ranger and let them know of your issues and of what the "Dealer" has told you. I'm sure they would like to know of his treatment of a New Ranger buyer !!! Next, you have to understand that the Cert. is only for what it lists is included. I've know a few who have purchased Certs and have gone thru and upgraded from them. It's not a "Walk in the Park" ordeal, but with the right dealer it can be done acceptable to both parties. And as far as the Dealer not making any money, BS !!! You'll still have to pay dealer prep to install all those options not installed at Ranger. Most Certs include the Motor, and some even the Trolling Motor and Electronics which are installed at Ranger. Other options can be ordered and also installed there too. Let your fingers do the walking and find a dealer that WANTS to work with you even if it means spending a day to get there.

As far as what the Cert is worth, I wouldn't even think about it for more that 2/3 value. But, that's just me !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    Buddy bought a tin ranger from cabelas. It spent more time in the shop, they struggle to retain talent and have poor processes. If the cert is for a glass boat? If so can cabelas help.

I will say the cabelas keeps trying
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

If you're in OK call Pros Choice Marine in Warsaw and see what they say. Not that far from you and they are a known reputable dealer...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

16. Member
    Sounds like it would be better for the seller of the cert to just have the boat built then sell the new boat.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS