Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery Running Down

So I still just have a 12 and 9" units on my 521. Have an Interstate 31 AGM less than two years old. I left my 12" screen on for co-angler last week at LOZ, and of course my 9 was on up front all day. Turned wells on Low around 9:00 when first keeper went in the box. By noon the screen was blacking out when I started the motor. This happens a lot, and I feel like I have something draining my battery faster than normal?

Everybody else seems to have 3-4 units on heir boats nowadays, and are starting 250's like me. So I can't figure out how they are running them w/o issues. Do the pumps and two units really pull that much juice??
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    I'll ask first. Are the graphs wired directly to the battery?

3. Member
    Yes in the sense that ignition doesn't have to be on to turn graphs on; but battery switch does have to be on to power up graphs. It is factory wired from Ranger, I haven't messed with it.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

If your motor is starting with no issues but your graphs are having poor performance, slow to update picture or giving a low voltage alarm when you crank the motor its your wiring. In reply #2 what he means is does the wires leave the head unit and go directly to a cut off switch and then the battery. For best performance graphs need to be on their own individual dedicated circuit and not share power with any other accessory.

Do a google search for Sonar Pros wiring harness or Sea Clear wiring harness or Bass Tank wiring harness...if you want the processer in your unit to function at max performance you need to have a dedicated wiring system.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Interstates are only good for small boat anchors imo. Get a quality 31 series AGM and see if you still have issues......

Good luck.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    OK but seriously the brand isn't going to impact MCA, CCA. A working 31AGM is a working 31AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Interstates are only good for small boat anchors imo. Get a quality 31 series AGM and see if you still have issues......

Good luck.

The biggest and best battery is not going to resolve a wiring issue. If you have sonar that is 10-15 years old then it not as voltage sensitive. If you have newer technology sonar such as side scan, down scan, 3D, 360, liveview, panoptics or similiar high tech technology then your unit has a lot more stuff to process than an ol regular sonar from years ago. Boat wiring has stayed the same but the devices we hook up have a different demand for voltage than regular 2d sonar from years ago. One might think that 12V is is 12V no matter how you get it and I can see that line of thought but its really more complex than that. The reality is you need a 12V supply that is uninterrupted and not shared with anything else...If the only issue the OP is having is a screen going black when he cranks his motor I would almost bet money his issue is in the wiring of his graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    OK but seriously the brand isn't going to impact MCA, CCA. A working 31AGM is a working 31AGM.
    correct see above comments and my original reply in post #4

So I still just have a 12 and 9" units on my 521. Have an Interstate 31 AGM less than two years old. I left my 12" screen on for co-angler last week at LOZ, and of course my 9 was on up front all day. Turned wells on Low around 9:00 when first keeper went in the box. By noon the screen was blacking out when I started the motor. This happens a lot, and I feel like I have something draining my battery faster than normal?

Everybody else seems to have 3-4 units on heir boats nowadays, and are starting 250's like me. So I can't figure out how they are running them w/o issues. Do the pumps and two units really pull that much juice??
    What you are describing is very typical of Rangers running that Interstate Battery....if you do a search on here you will find many with the EXACT same issues and was solved with a quality battery such as the X2,..Northstar...Odyssey brand AGMs....highly unlikely you have wiring issues in a 2018 boat.

I had the exact same set up as you in my 2016 521 initially...that Interstate AGM lasted 6 months before it would not crank the big motor at the end of tournament day. Start with the simple stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    What you are describing is very typical of Rangers running that Interstate Battery....if you do a search on here you will find many with the EXACT same issues and was solved with a quality battery such as the X2,..Northstar...Odyssey brand AGMs....highly unlikely you have wiring issues in a 2018 boat.

I had the exact same set up as you in my 2016 521 initially...that Interstate AGM lasted 6 months before it would not crank the big motor at the end of tournament day. Start with the simple stuff.
    I do agree with whats said about Interstate batteries not being as good of quality as the other batteries mentioned, however there is brand new Ranger (and other manufactures of boats) who do not isolate high power draw sonar units on 10 AWG wiring and isolate the unit so it does not share power with anything else. Yes current Ranger wiring (and other boat manufactures) will power up a unit and get it to work, however they are not working to their full capability. The OP is not having starting issues. He only described a screen blacking out after he has been on the water for a few hours. This is a classic example of wiring that can be improved to achieve maximum performance in a sonar unit.

In this link they give a good explanation of how important upgrading your wiring and ensuring it is wired correct. Note the boat in the video is a newer model Ranger. Not picking on Ranger because to the best of my knowledge no boat manufacture runs 10 AWG dedicated wiring to their units...this is just one of the manufactures I am aware of that makes a wiring harnesses that greatly improves graph performance...Sea Clear, Sonar Pros and Bass Tank all make similar harnesses. I prefer Sonar Pros because you can send them your factory plugs and they solder/heat shrink your OEM plug ensuring all connections are solid. With Sea Clear and the Bass Tank harness there is some connects you need to make. With Sonar Pros it is all plug and play.

Last edited by JR19; 11-27-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Respectfully Gene..it can also be a low voltage blank. Since it’s happening hours into his day...that is what I would expect. Of course I’m not saying it could not be wiring...just that this issue has been a problem on many Rangers equipped with that battery..and solved by a quality battery. I run three live 12’s..all off the Ranger busses, as well as dual poles...pumps..lights, and starts. I use an 80AH lithium...my graphs are clear and never blank or shutdown to low voltage. Power makes a huge difference.

11. Member
    Was killing my starting battery a series 31 optima Bluetop every time I was out. I now am running an Ionic 125 ah lithium problems gone.
    Running 10 and 12 inch Solix at Console.
    Helix 12, 360 Garmin 1022 and Livescope on bow.

12. Member
    Most boat manufactures, Ranger included run a #12 from the console to the bow for electronics, which is way too small for todays electronics we all install at the bow. This small conductor has a very high voltage drop with the loads from multiple control heads, MEGA 360, Livescopes, etc. It is feed from the same conductor that powers all your livewell pumps, bilge pumps, lights, etc. from the battery.

Just installed Sea Pro wiring harness with Blue Sea fuse block at the bow for 12" Helix, 10" Helix and Mega 360 at the bow. Console I have 12" Helix and HB ethernet switch. The Sea Pro will give you a dedicate #8 to the bow and #8 to the console. Also, make sure your small conductor power cables that HB, Lowrance or Garmin send you are cut shorter vs leaving them factory length to reduce voltage drop.

I also just purchased a X2 from Batteries Plus (Nortstar NSB-AGM31M) to replace the crappy Interstate 31M. No, just because it is a group 31 battery, they are are not the same. The Group number is just the dimensional size of the battery. The internals, CCA, AH, RC specs will all be different. This is the same battery that Bass Pro sells or the Northstar NSB-AGM31M, (same as the Odyssey as well) but you get a much better warranty from Batteries Plus and their customer service which you won't get from Bass Pro.

Save yourself some headaches and rewire everything with dedicated wiring separate from you boat auxiliaries and get a good battery. Yes, the X2 is expensive (they are currently offering 10% off), but it is a beast of a battery with 103AH and 220RC ratings and more CCA that you would ever need.
    Last edited by RGK456; 11-28-2020 at 07:23 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post

Good luck.
    I have never had any luck with Interstate batteries as well. The size you're running is fine, you just need a better quality battery.

14. mikesxpress
    Mick you have a 2018 model boat that Ranger built to handle the electronics your running if they were wired correctly. And you are correct, guys running 3/4 or more MFD's do experience more power issues due to the demand.
    Get a carbon pile load test done on the battery 1st. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. This will tell you the actual "condition" of the battery. As noted above, the group 31 Odyssey or X2 AGM's are the benchmark marine batteries. None of the others come close to the performance specifications of these two batteries.

15. Member
    I bought an X2 from Batteries Plus when I bought my old used Ranger to replace a smaller Interstate battery. It has been flawless for the two years I've owned the boat. I've never had power issues and it cranks my Optimax quickly and easily, even at the end of the day. I just recently replaced my Deka trolling batteries with the X2 and it's unbelievable how these batteries don't drain. I have plenty of power left at the end of the day, even in high wind where the Ultrex is working hard all day. The only penalties are the cost and weight. They are pricey and heavy, but are excellent in performance....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

16. Member
    I had the same issue with (2) Carbon 12’s on my 521C. Started with a new X2 Battery but voltage drop still an issue. Units would blink/black out (not shut down) when hitting start.

Followed Tommy’s recommendation on the Lowrance Forum and ran dedicated 10g wire from battery to Blue Sea fuse box and then 10g from Fuse Box to each Unit. $65, easy install and PROBLEM SOLVED! Now have constant 12v+ running both units and live wells all day... Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a GOOD G31 AGM Battery and then run the wires.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I bought an X2 from Batteries Plus when I bought my old used Ranger to replace a smaller Interstate battery. It has been flawless for the two years I've owned the boat. I've never had power issues and it cranks my Optimax quickly and easily, even at the end of the day. I just recently replaced my Deka trolling batteries with the X2 and it's unbelievable how these batteries don't drain. I have plenty of power left at the end of the day, even in high wind where the Ultrex is working hard all day. The only penalties are the cost and weight. They are pricey and heavy, but are excellent in performance....
    Was considering the G31 X2 for trolling as well. Assume that worked well less not considering the extra 50# or so

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The OP has only described one issue...graph going black when he cranks the motor up into the day. He is not experiencing starting issue nor is his battery going dead.

I left my 12" screen on for co-angler last week at LOZ, and of course my 9 was on up front all day. Turned wells on Low around 9:00 when first keeper went in the box. By noon the screen was blacking out when I started the motor.

There seems to be mixed opinions. Some say its a junk Interstate battery (which I do agree interstate are poor quality) and some say the wiring can be improved to resolve the issue. For those that think its totally a battery issue then I ask you to consider this. Todays sonar has a processer somewhat like a home computer. They are very sensitive to even the slightest amount of voltage drop. If you had screens that were flickering but your battery was still plenty strong enough to start the motor then having a wire harness that will carry the load more efficient is overcoming a slight voltage drop due to battery use. There is several people out there who have what's considered a premium quality battery and they still use a dedicated wire harness because they want their units to perform to their max capacity. If this was not a real issue even with a premium quality battery there would not be three separate companies (Sonar Pros, Sea Clear, Bass Tank) making dedicated wire harnesses. Now I do realize there is a ton of people out there using using factory wiring and their not having issues with their screen blinking when they start their motor but with that being said I still feel confident they could improve the performance of their unit if they had dedicated wiring. To me personally its one of those things you ask your self...do you want what's good or do you want what's great. Both will work in the long run but one does perform better than the other.

Some dedicated 10 ga and a quality battery the best of both worlds...I guess it’s the lithium in my rig, but I have 3 Lowrance live 12’s all wired to the Ranger busses....Great images and no issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Most boat manufactures, Ranger included run a #12 from the console to the bow for electronics, which is way too small for todays electronics we all install at the bow. This small conductor has a very high voltage drop with the loads from multiple control heads, MEGA 360, Livescopes, etc. It is feed from the same conductor that powers all your livewell pumps, bilge pumps, lights, etc. from the battery.

Just installed Sea Pro wiring harness with Blue Sea fuse block at the bow for 12" Helix, 10" Helix and Mega 360 at the bow. Console I have 12" Helix and HB ethernet switch. The Sea Pro will give you a dedicate #8 to the bow and #8 to the console. Also, make sure your small conductor power cables that HB, Lowrance or Garmin send you are cut shorter vs leaving them factory length to reduce voltage drop.

I also just purchased a X2 from Batteries Plus (Nortstar NSB-AGM31M) to replace the crappy Interstate 31M. No, just because it is a group 31 battery, they are are not the same. The Group number is just the dimensional size of the battery. The internals, CCA, AH, RC specs will all be different. This is the same battery that Bass Pro sells or the Northstar NSB-AGM31M, (same as the Odyssey as well) but you get a much better warranty from Batteries Plus and their customer service which you won't get from Bass Pro.

Save yourself some headaches and rewire everything with dedicated wiring separate from you boat auxiliaries and get a good battery. Yes, the X2 is expensive (they are currently offering 10% off), but it is a beast of a battery with 103AH and 220RC ratings and more CCA that you would ever need.
    Can we please try to help Mick rather than blow smoke up his arse to sell him stuff. Ranger runs a dedicated 12 gauge wire from console to bow terminal block, it's not a small conductor-it's rated for 20 amps and doesn't have a "very high" voltage drop in 10' to the bow terminal block. Mick's 9" graph pulls less than 3 amps! Let's please not condemn Rangers wiring on a 2 year old boat, it's more than sufficient!!! Mick is running a single 9" bow unit. Ranger runs a very large wire to the console, it's at least an 8 gauge, maybe a 6 gauge. That's the supply wire that feed all accessories, not the dedicated 12 gauge. Quite simply Mick and others can power up their console units and bow units and observe the displayed voltage reading and view the insignificant voltage drop!!!!! Mick has a 2018 Ranger, the wiring is more than adequate and doesn't need an upgraded "SNAKE OIL" harness. Micks battery is a 31 Interstate AGM, probably needs a new battery, they're not the best. This forum is for Ranger owner to communicate and help other Ranger owners, not promote and sell SNAKE OIL!!! Seems strange everyone from Kentucky has an issue with Ranger wiring?????
    Last edited by electritek; 11-30-2020 at 11:32 PM.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast