Thread: In the woods

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Two hawks I guess fighting in the air. I was driving down the road and it looked like a pair of pants falling from the sky circling. When they hit the ground I realized they were hawks. I turned around and drove back to see if they were still there or what and both were gone. I guess they clinched up and neither were letting go.

2. Member
    When I was in high school, I was into coon hunting. I had a young Walker hound, about 11 months old, and I decided I'd take him down to the creek on the back side of our property to see if he could scare something up. I grabbed a flashlight, the dog, and took a 16 gauge shotgun, but only had two rounds. The creek ran along a small bluff that backed up to our 30 acre cornfield and every now and then you could get a coon headed up to the corn field. I walked about a 1/2 mile and climbed through the fence. I headed down to the creek and had just made it to the bluff line. The dog was hunting close and all of a sudden I heard a growl unlike anything I had ever heard before. Thinking about it now I would guess a cougar but that would only be a guess, never heard anything like it before or since. The dog actually let out a whimper as the growls continued. That freaking dog tore out of there and headed for home. About the time the dog ran off my flashlight quit, just went out and no amount of wacking brought it back to life. I put a round in the shotgun and started backing up toward the fence, all the time listening and pointing my gun toward the growls. Once I made it through the fence I made a dead sprint for home. When I got there that dog was tight in his dog house. I went back with my dad the next day but could find no sign of any kind. My dad thought I was nuts but it happened sure as I'm sitting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Two hawks I guess fighting in the air. I was driving down the road and it looked like a pair of pants falling from the sky circling. When they hit the ground I realized they were hawks. I turned around and drove back to see if they were still there or what and both were gone. I guess they clinched up and neither were letting go.
    They were mating.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    They were mating.
    Well there are a lot easier ways than hitting the ground from a fall lol

I'm not a hunter but I did have an encounter in the woods once. I was in the woods surveying a new subdivision road. While standing on an animal trail a yearling approached trying to get past me. It would get within 10 feet then back away. It did this 4 different times until I stepped off the trail. As soon as I got about 10 feet away, the yearling followed the path past me. I thought it was interesting that the deer couldn't stray from the path and just go around.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

6. Member
    Had a barred owl land about 2 ft away on a branch that I used as a gun rest. I never heard him coming - startled me, but it was cool.

same deer stand there was a group of persimmon trees right across the path. A big ole raccoon was grabbing a snack. He got a little far out on one of the limbs and it bent. Left him hanging there trying to figure out what to do. He quickly got his legs back under him and climbed back toward the trunk. It was pretty amusing.

7. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    A buck roar before I ever knew what a buck roar was. The valley I was hunting probably amplified the sound. One of those "what the hell was that!" moment.

My first time hearing one I was set up in a palmetto flat, a first time set on a hot scrape line. I had a deer that was working into my bad wind after rattling and it was getting dark quick. I thought I would try to instigate him and done a snort wheeze. He cut me off with a roar and was thrashing something behind me sounded like he was ripping palmetto bushes out of the ground and hurling them. I stood there bow in hand, grunt call in the other and staring at the ground confused as how to react. I stood there until dark not knowing what to do and hoping like hell it was a deer and not a Sasquatch.

8. Member
    Three dead bodies. A father shot his daughters and himself. Clipping from 1994

SEANOR, Pa., Dec. 2 -- Investigators Friday tentatively identified three bodies found in a remote Pennsylvania woods as a father and his two children, whom he apparently killed before turning the gun on himself. The three had been the subject of a nationwide search since June 26, when the father took the children on a visit from his estranged wife's home in Johnstown, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh, then failed to return them.
    ADVERTISEMENT

State police said the victims were believed to be Phillip Hull, 31, and his daughters, Tara, 10, and Casey Jo, 7, all of Johnstown. The children appeared to have been shot in the head, initial reports said. Investigators said they could not yet confirm that a hole in the adult skull was caused by a bullet, but state police said foul play was suspected in all three deaths. Police said at the time he disappeared with his daughters, Hull and his wife, Amy, had been separated for a year and she had custody of the children. After he disappeared, Hull was charged with hindering the custody of children, and police continued to search for him and his daughters. 'We handled this as a missing-person (case),' said Johnstown police Capt. Craig Foust. 'I had no idea it was anything like this.' Police had followed up leads that most recently indicated Hull had taken the children to live near relatives in California, Foust said. Two hunters found the bodies Wednesday night, 1 miles north of Seanor in Somerset County, and about 12 miles south of Johnstown. The bodies were face up and side by side at the bottom of a 20-foot ravine. A handgun was found between the adult's legs
    SEANOR, Pa., Dec. 2 -- Investigators Friday tentatively identified three bodies found in a remote Pennsylvania woods as a father and his two children, whom he apparently killed before turning the gun on himself. The three had been the subject of a nationwide search since June 26, when the father took the children on a visit from his estranged wife's home in Johnstown, about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh, then failed to return them.
    ADVERTISEMENT

State police said the victims were believed to be Phillip Hull, 31, and his daughters, Tara, 10, and Casey Jo, 7, all of Johnstown. The children appeared to have been shot in the head, initial reports said. Investigators said they could not yet confirm that a hole in the adult skull was caused by a bullet, but state police said foul play was suspected in all three deaths. Police said at the time he disappeared with his daughters, Hull and his wife, Amy, had been separated for a year and she had custody of the children. After he disappeared, Hull was charged with hindering the custody of children, and police continued to search for him and his daughters. 'We handled this as a missing-person (case),' said Johnstown police Capt. Craig Foust. 'I had no idea it was anything like this.' Police had followed up leads that most recently indicated Hull had taken the children to live near relatives in California, Foust said. Two hunters found the bodies Wednesday night, 1 miles north of Seanor in Somerset County, and about 12 miles south of Johnstown. The bodies were face up and side by side at the bottom of a 20-foot ravine. A handgun was found between the adult's legs

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well there are a lot easier ways than hitting the ground from a fall lol
    If your special moment hasn't arrived, it's easy to lose track of time.

Racoons fighting. You would think an exorcism was going on.

Paragon Falcon knock a Canvasback out of the air. I was with a biologist doing waterfowl surveys. We scared up the ducks and as they climbed and circled the Paragon dove into the flock and knocked the crap out of the duck. It grabbed it in midair and was able to pull it so they both hit land. We snuck over a dune and was able to glass it. Tough little bird.

12. Member
    Witnessed a squirrel migration of some sort. Wife and I were canoeing a remote stream when we came across dozens if not hundreds of greys jumping from the trees and bank and swimming across the river. Lasted about 10 minutes and they were gone.

13. Member
    Was sitting in a ladder stand before daylight watching a food plot and wearing a camo cap with some brownish orange pattern. All of a sudden something hit me in the head and I felt a pain and my cap was gone. Turned out it was an owl and my scalp had a gash in it. After the sun came up I started searching and found my cap below a large tree. It is my guess that the owl saw me slowly turning my head and thought it was a fox squirrel.

My scalp was burning and later when I got up with my hunting party one of the guys used his first aid kit to disinfect the wound and bandage it.

Even though I retrieved the cap I never wore it again.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    I stood there until dark not knowing what to do and hoping like hell it was a deer and not a Sasquatch.
    That was my sentiment as well!

In the woods - Just got in my stand. Heard the loudest scream, sounded like like a Coyote getting a fawn or something. Erie loud in the pitch black of night.

Another weird one was when I was testing a reel in the front yard, flipping a worm in the grass and recalling in when a snake jumped out of a tree a struck my worm like a Bass. Reaction was to set the hook.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

16. Member
    It was cold and just before dawn when I climbed into my treestand about 15' up. I was wearing a face mask because of the cold. Been there only a couple of minutes and still dark when a large owl landed on a limb about 5 feet from me. It was facing away from me but rotated it's head to focus on me. For maybe a full minute we starred at each other and then like a dummy I ran my tongue out of face mask. Owl was on me in a flash. Heavy clothes and getting my gun up kept me from getting hurt. Later I guessed the Owl thought my tongue was a squirrel coming out of hole on tree. I will never forget.

I have run across guys wearing a white baseball cap during deer season on a couple of occasions, but the scariest was a guy who asked me if I knew how to load his rifle that he had borrowed from a friend.
    Bob Guess
    Fishin for Fun
    99 Stratos 273/ 96 Merc 115

Turkey Hunting, just set up in the dark. Porcupines mating, loud and sounds like someone is killing a baby. Turkey Hunting, calling, and 5 raccoons coming to the call rapidly, I have only 3 in the gun, I stood up and ran toward them. Bow hunting had a Bared Owl, land on the branch nextt to my head. Sat there for about 5 min. Bow hunting, had a bear come in to 15yds, sit down and start ripping a rotted log apart, was eating grubs in the log. It started getting dark, stomped on my stand, nothing, threw my little pack at him, nothing, I yelled, nothing. He kept tearing the log up. It became pitch black. Finally I heard him move off, started down with the climber, got to about 6ft, jumped down an took off in the opposite direction, left everything in the woods. Assisted trailing a doe, when we found it the fawn was standing by it would not leave, we tried to chase it off, but it just came back was kinda sad. Halloween night Bow shot a buck, that ran towards my truck and died 5ft from it, shortest drag of all time.

19. Member
    On one day last week, while walking along kokomo reservoir looking for lost fishing gear, my fishing partner found a nude black man that had been dumped over the guard rail. Later determined was a 27 yr old from michigan and had been shot. A couple yrs ago he found two large bucks together with antlers removed with a machette still on the ground. Dude is always finding "things" .

Not my experiance, but this is what my brother come across in the woods one day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast