Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i'm about 500k to 38$ difference in the ones i've lost and the ones i snag

I can't have nice stuff
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

2. Member
    I've probably caught 2 dozen rods over the last 2 years. I caught a loaner pole this year that one of our local lakes has to lend out to people who want to just "go fishing" but don't have gear. Last year I caught a catfish outfit. I caught a friends brand new Fenwick that he dropped in about 20' of water. One guy I had fishing with me caught a real nice setup that hadn't been in the water long. NRX spinning rod with some higher end Shimano reel, probably an $800-900 combo.

Funniest catch like that though...Was winding a squarebill, and snagged on something. Started dragging the snag in, and it starts to pull. I think I'm losing my mind. Finally see the crank and just see that it's snagged on some line, so I figure it was just the stick or whatever the line was tangled on that I felt. I pull the line in so I can throw it away, and as I'm pulling the line in, there's a tug again. Get it to the boat and there was a worm hook with a senko on it, and about a 2lb smallie. Unhook him and let him go, pull up the rest of the line and there was a 6' spinning rod (like a shakespeare wally world special).
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

3. Member
    I hook one up thought I had a big one it ended up being a real old rod and reel it was so bad I couldn't even give it away.

4. Member
    Me and a buddy were night fishing, we stop to fish an island. We start down the bank, I'm throwing a spinnerbait my buddy is throwing a worm. We soon realize there are people camping on the island and they they have some lines out. I swing the boat out wide so as not to disturb their lines and we talk for a minute as I'm passing by.
    We get on the backside of the island (its not big, maybe, 10x30 yards), Rick says "I got a hit" and sets the hook and the fish breaks water at the bank. I get down and grab the net as Rich starts to reel it in. He says something ain't right with this fish just as the people from the front side of the island come to the back side. One of them starts looking around saying "where's my pole" about the same time Rick reels in the fish, but it ain't a fish, its a fishing pole. It was funny at the time, I guess you had to be there. We gave them their rod back and laughed a little then went on our way.

5. Member
    Caught several over the years but they were junk. Lost a few also one good rig because some dummy layed down his rod and reel to dip a fish, looked back to see it going over the side. We were lucky on this one, a DD22 caught it and still had a three pound small mouth on the hooks!!

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    After a long winter one year, early spring outing and see a marker buoy in the water near a hump I'm fishing. I was the only trailer in the lot so figured nobody else was on the water. I go to the marker it's covered in green slime like it had been there for 10yrs...lol I start pulling it in and winding it up and when I feel more weight than expected so keep wrapping the line it was in about 21 feet of water then a rod tip pops to the surface and I say wow it's an old ugly stick with a spinning reel , not any good or special but as I'm picking it up and dropping it into the boat I feel a tug...lol it had a 16" rainbow attached to it unbelievable
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. Member
    Years ago, my dad and I were out trolling for walleye on an area lake. We were trolling Hot n Tots, a bait that hunts side to side as it wobbles along. Dad's rod tip goes down and he grabs the rod thinking he has a large walleye. Long story short, it ended up being a spinning rod and reel that looked like it had been on the bottom of the lake for more than a few years. The rear treble hook on the Hot n Tot had caught inside the tip top of the rod.

I have no doubt that your chances of being struck by lightning are greater than something like that ever happening again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    i'm about 500k to 38$ difference in the ones i've lost and the ones i snag

I can't have nice stuff
    That’s me also. I have caught several and one with another BBC member in the boat with me. Not sure if someone dropped them in the lake or was pissed and just threw them in! My buddy’s I caught was the best one I have ever snagged and he was in the boat with me when I caught his. He said hey thanks! Hand it over!

Yes, catfishing setup, spinning setup, zebco and three baitcasting setups. Only the catfishing rod and reel were any good. All the others had been in the water for way too long.

I was fishing a tournament couple years ago. Did not have a keeper with about a hour to go. Pulled up to a beaver hut and started catching some fish. I caught a limit with 15 minutes before I had to head in. After putting last fish in the live well, look around my rod was gone. My favorite spinning rod. Tried to find it, but time to go to weigh in. Made sure and marked the spot came back two weeks later, fished for my rod for 2 hours but finally caught it.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

I caught one at KY lake one time but it was and old spincast that had been down there a while.

My wife has done it too, but hers was a better story.....
    We was fishing on Erie catching smallmouth on a paddletail when we doubled up and I was trying to get a weight on hers. I unhooked mine and threw it back, dropped my lure over the side with about 6' of line out. Then I grabbed her fish to weigh it and when I was handing her her fish back my rod bounced then popped overboard! I thought "CRAP! I didn't think I had enough line out to catch a rock." I hit a waypoint really quick then we started searching for the rod as the water was almost clear enough to see the bottom. We searched and dragged the bottom with different lures for about 20 min then decided to move on. We fished down the break line a few hundred yards then came back to the spot where we caught the most fish and lost the rod. We caught a few more fish then as we got out to the waypoint my wife made a cast to the area and was dragging the paddletail along when she says I got another one, but it is fighting weird. When it gets close to the boat the but of the rod pops out of the water! She has hooked my rod and reel combo with her paddletail and she hooked it between the reel and the first eye of the rod.....but it is still fighting! She gets the rod to the boat and I grab it and you guessed it ...... a smallmouth had grabbed my paddletail that was hanging over the boat with 6' of line out! I pulled the fish in and told her I think this should count as your catch! Then we both laughed for a bit and she said "Believe it or not I said a little prayer that we would get that rod and reel back right before I made that last cast."
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

12. Member
    A guy in my boat caught my lost rod/reel. We were fishing and one of my rod/reels got accidently kicked overboard, between the boat and the bank, in about 3 feet of water. No matter what we tried, we could not find the rod/reel. So we fished on down the bank and about 30 yards further down the other guy set the hook. He reeled in the rod/reel I had lost just 20 minutes earlier. No idea how it got 30 yards further down the bank.

13. Member
    Caught 3 - Lost 0

14. Member
    Three rigs: A Shimano BC on a pistol grip rod that I pulled up with a C-rig (perfect condition, but a lefty). The second was a crusty Zebco 202 on a rod with wire guides. The winner was a genuine Popeil's Pocket Fisherman that still functioned

15. TJNYSNP
    i don't think the rod components, wraps and blank will fair well if one is underwater for 24 hours

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    i don't think the rod components, wraps and blank will fair well if one is underwater for 24 hours
    24 hours under water will not hurt a rod or it's components even a little bit, Have you ever fished in the rain for a couple of days?

17. Banned
    Caught one that my fil kicked over an hour before. 15' of stained water and took about an hour of dragging before it surfaced again.

18. Member
    Oddly enough... no. But I did manage to catch a whole winter suit only a few weeks ago... in 26 feet of water... thankfully no body in it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123