Help me decide on mapping

I am looking to upgrade my electronics.
    So I am stepping up from a Lowrance Elite 7 (original model) to some version of a Garmin Echomap 90 series UHD gps/sonar unit at my console.
    The Elite 7 is moving up on the front deck.

Here is my dilemma. I live next to the Chesapeake Bay here in MD. I fish some on the bay and a lot on the tidal rivers. Think the Susquehanna Flats, on the north end of the bay, and also places like the Potomac River. I also vacation to places like Dale Hollow Lake, Chickamauga Lake, in TN. as well as some VA and NC lakes also. I will be fishing DE. lakes in the near future too.

I think I want a ECHOMAP 93SV UHD which has the LakeVu G3 maps. How well will that cover the Bay and its tributaries. My other option is the Echomap 94SV UHD with the US coastal G3 charts.

Any advice would be helpful Both units are on good sales from West Marine and both include the GT-54 transducer. I am also thinking or relocating my Ram Mount as it is the smaller size one. I am looking at the Ballzout and the smaller T&H Marine Kong mount. They both look more up to the task of securely holding a bigger 9 inch unit in place.
    No insult to the ram mount, it was originally picked to support a 5 inch and later a 7 inch unit.

Thanks for your help.
    Happy Thanksgiving as well

fishnkamp

Yes, for all the inland mapping, you need the 93 unit. This will have all the topography for the lakes you mention. Also consider adding the LakeVu g3 Ultra East card. The Ultra card adds extra mapping features:

Ultra mapping comparison.JPG

Regarding the tidal rivers, reach out to Cartography directly to see if detailed mapping for these areas is covered by LakeVu, or whether you would need to add a BlueChart map card.

cartography@garmin.com
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Todd thank you very much.
    I am not really looking for great underwater detail for the bay, mostly just depths and markers.
    I did send my question directly to the link you shared.

My boat is a 18 foot Lowe Aluminum bass boat. I have had it for 10 years and am upgrading the electronics and batteries.
    I started with 2 HBs (798si and a 788) originally, but one failed years ago. It was replaced by the Elite7. I am removing the 788 and the group 31 AGM batteries.
    Both have served me well.

Up front I will temporarily use my Lowrance Elite 7, which was back at the helm. That 9 incher is about as big as I can go with the size of my boat. I am upgrading from the smaller sized ram mount to either a Ballzout mount or a smaller sized Kong mount. Either one will keep that 9 inch unit more stable and secure while running in rough water. Tidal water is never forgiving it seams.
    Last edited by fishnkamp; 11-26-2020 at 06:53 AM.

From memory, my 93sv Plus does not show navigation information like buoy's, channels, etc.. You'll need to purchase a Garmin U.S. BlueChart g3 sd card and insert it when your on the coast.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    I’m in the same boat, getting a 94sv because 80% fishing I do is coastal flat fishing with 20% freshwater lakes. I’m going to buy the LakeVu G3 card to use when I go to the lakes. Figured I want the built in map to be where I do most of my fishing. The G3 cards have a $50 rebate right now.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Last edited by MichAngler; 11-28-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"