Question Has anyone every made their own power tilt/trim unit?

Guys,
    I have a 1975 Evinrude 35 on my 16' Princecraft. Engine runs like a top. Only thing I would like is power trim.

Saw an electric actuator that lifts over 1,000 lbs with an 8" stroke for $28... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MK1X89X

I wonder if I could Plasti-Dip this thing and make a power tilt trim unit out of it? Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Very curious.

2. Member
    Following.

3. Member
    I found a couple of guys on tin boat sites that have used these. Some of the rigs look bulky and are not what I want, but they work, and it's nice to know someone is using this kind of unit.

Evinrude 30- 60 HP engines use a very expensive trim unit, ($1,200) that is hard to find used ($400-$750) and if I could modify one of these, that would be awesome!

I want to try to put it in the transom plate, like a standard hydraulic unit, if it will fit. I'm sure I'm going to have to do some waterproofing. Plasti-dip or something like that.

I just ordered two of these and should get them next week. Not surprisingly, the 6" stroke is out of stock, as that is the one that should work exactly, but hopefully, the 8" will fit. Should have bought the 6 when I could!

4. Member
    Knowing the cost of quality automation stuff...$28 would not leave me with high expectations. It's also only IP44 rated meaning its barely splash proof.
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    True.
    I'm planning to dip in either truck bedliner or plasti-dip, but a bigger problem is the short duty-cycle of the unit. Only has a 10-15% duty cycle. Also, the piston seals are not made for immersion.

So this might be a total flop. But will be interesting to see. Not a big investment, that's for sure. I'll post updates as I go.

6. Member
    They used to sell an add on tilt-trim at Bass pro ---cant remember the brand (CMC ? ) It was about 1/3 cost of the 1200 you talked about . Dont even know if still made anymore. You might see if you can find it at BPS or google it .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

7. Member
    CMC makes one for under 35 hp and one for over 35 hp. I had one of the Under 35 hp many years ago.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cmc-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    CMC makes one for under 35 hp and one for over 35 hp. I had one of the Under 35 hp many years ago.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cmc-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thats a JACK PLATE, it LIFTS the motor, he's talking about TRIM to TILT the motor.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    You are correct. I didn't look at the listing well enough. Well back when, when I had mine, they didn't make a jack plate. I believe that this is the one in question. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/th-m...BoCZ3YQAvD_BwE

10. Member
    CMC makes a nice tilt trim plate. They work great. But they are a bit heavy for this boat, and cost about $700 or so for the smallest version. I've been looking for a used one, but haven't found anything reasonable yet. Thank you for bringing up alternatives.

I received the 16" stroke actuator today, and WOW this thing is powerful. It is strong enough to use as an electric tongue jack for my 24' Wellcraft, but it takes over a minute to extend. This will make for an interesting project. I'm sure I could easily make a "power pole" type anchor with this, if I wanted.

Even so, it does not look like it will withstand much water contact, as-is. It definitely cannot be submerged. Again, I'm curious about dipping it in a gallon can of truck bed liner. If I dunk it above where the shaft seal is, it might be enough. Again, will make an interesting project somewhere down the road.

The 8" shaft unit is supposed to be here in a day or so. Will update once I get it.
    Last edited by thilltony; 12-01-2020 at 07:22 PM.