Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Shipping a transmission

Anyone ever ship a transmission? If so, how'd you do it and about how much did it cost?

2. Member
    It will arrive damaged nowadays.
    Praying for a Cure

3. Member
    I helped a friend drop off and pick up a transmission at a shipper to send off to be rebuilt ten year ago.

He bought a heavy duty plastic container with the fold over interlocking lid. He packed it in there and zip tied the lid shut.........it had a built in hasp. We took it to the local fed ex hub and shipped it from there.

4. Im wishin I was fishin
    make sure you drain it

5. Banned
    Shipper should have some guidelines?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    It will arrive damaged nowadays.
    That's what I'm afraid of unless I put it on a pallet and send it freight, which makes the cost not worth. Probably still would end up broke like that

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I helped a friend drop off and pick up a transmission at a shipper to send off to be rebuilt ten year ago.

He bought a heavy duty plastic container with the fold over interlocking lid. He packed it in there and zip tied the lid shut.........it had a built in hasp. We took it to the local fed ex hub and shipped it from there.
    I saw some guys doing that, but I'm afraid the backbilling now days would be crazy

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    make sure you drain it
    Yeah I'm sure they'd still try to slap on a hazardous fee even if it was drained

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Shipper should have some guidelines?
    Yeah, but not anything really that useful

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Yeah, but not anything really that useful
    Everything adds weight I guess. I thought that they would have some protocols though.

Shipping crate, plus u-ship....it won't be cheap.

12. Member
    How far are you trying to ship it?

13. Member
    Most used transmissions come strapped to a pallet. Use wood screwed to the pallet to run bolts through the bell housing, strap the tail shaft, and use flat stock bolted through the bell housing to hold the torque convertor in place. R and L seems to be the carrier I get most from.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Shipped a Merc 175 from Tallahassee FL to Pittsburg on a pallet via R&L carriers $220.00 got there in two days. I used an online broker Freightquote by C.H. Robinson was the outfit.

15. Member
    R and l has cost me the most claims by far in the last 20 years or so. They fight you non stop so as not to pay. CH Robinson has basically fallen apart as of the last year, a shame really as they were a good company to deal with. We have been using XPO logistics as of late with great results. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Member
    Where are you shipping from and where is it going. I know a guy that runs a van around the south, and if its in his area he might do it for you.

It isn’t a big deal, buy a transmission shipping crate, strap it in and bolt it shut. It is just another piece of freight.

It would be much cheaper terminal to terminal. I’ve shipped motorcycles and had them shipped to me from all over. I just picked them up at the freight terminal and it’s much cheaper. It just had to be able to be lifted by a forklift, nothing real elaborate. That crate above would be great and the freight company might have transmission crates available, they had ones for motorcycles.

I used Saia trucking several times and they were very reasonable and great to work with. I just drove to their local terminal in Houston and picked the motorcycles up or shipped them.

19. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    pallet it

then fastenal or greyhound freight

20. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely look into these options. I don't really know where it would go, shipping from Arkansas, could be anywhere in the US. Just trying to see if it would be worth it to send one somewhere or not. The transmission crate above would be great, but it's like $200 just to buy that from what I've saw. JBass2, I may send you a PM later if I get it sold. Thanks again guys for all of your help so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast