Vault hub grease??

Anyone ever use different grease other than the vault stuff with the vault system . Just wondering if it’s possible to do or not.

2. Member
    from what i read, it has a very low melting point and turns almost to liquid. Not sure you want a conventional grease in a vault hub.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    That’s why I want to get rid of it . If you have a
    leak with it your going to possibly ruin everything . With grease you probably won’t lose it all with a leak and should make it back . I think grease and use the vault caps would be a good idea . Anyone did it ? Or replace with bearing buddy’s

4. Member
    Use the vault grease. If its leaking fix it .I lost a cap at a lake 60 miles from home and dove it home without cap and it was fine. That was 6 years ago.The vault system is supposed to be fine for 10 years . Replacing rotors, seals ,bushings etc this winter on a 08 and using the hypoid vault grease.

If its leaking fix it

I make a habit and tell my partner to look at the hubs for any sign of a leak in the parking lot while the boat is off. If you keep your wheels even halfway clean a slight leak will show itself LONG before you loose enough grease or oil to have a failure.
    I'm always amazed when walking through the parking lot looking at the trailers. Some are just an incident waiting for an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Use the vault grease. If its leaking fix it
    The Hybrid grease is blended to have a Viscosity Index that allows it to thin as it heats up so that it can circulate from the pressurized cap through the center of the spindle to the rear bearing and back.
    The Viscosity Index is the key. The grease is Engineered to thin down enough to circulate through the bearings but be thick enough to maintain a fluid bearing on the rotating surfaces.
    I mistakenly put the wrong grease in Vault hubs once when adjusting bearings and blew both caps off in a 90 mile trip. Ended up changing it to EZ-Lube in the parking lot before I could return home.
    That being said, if you want to change to traditional grease, it is easy to change to an EZ-Lube configuration. The spindle is already drilled to allow the grease to be pumped to the rear and has the zert threads at the front. The Vault instructions call for removal of the zert fitting after filling with Hybrid grease but with regular grease, leave it screwed in and just change the hubs to the EZ-Lube style with the rubber inserts.
    That’s what I did in the ramp parking lot.
    I would use the Vault system as designed unless they leaked then I would change to EZ-Lube.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

what size zerk fitting fits the spindle?

8. Member
    1/4x 28

9. Scraps
    No way, use the right stuff.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    what size zerk fitting fits the spindle?
    I take a zerk off the outboard ,use it the put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by 008wagon View Post
    Anyone ever use different grease other than the vault stuff with the vault system . Just wondering if it’s possible to do or not.
    You can use the red Lucas grease.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

I make a habit and tell my partner to look at the hubs for any sign of a leak in the parking lot while the boat is off. If you keep your wheels even halfway clean a slight leak will show itself LONG before you loose enough grease or oil to have a failure.
    I'm always amazed when walking through the parking lot looking at the trailers. Some are just an incident waiting for an opportunity.
    Excellent advice. I do the exact same thing as I walk across the lot. Grease doesn't shrink or evaporate, it leaks. A simple observation goes a long ways. I see lot's of grease slingers at the ramp and wonder if they will make it home.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Hey guys I appreciate seeing the advice. I have a 2011 Legend with original trailer. I replaced my passenger brakes and hub last year. I fished the Toyota Owners Tournament on Pickwick Lake in August driving from Louisville, Ky. I noticed some leakage and was able to have someone help replace the rear seal at the hotel. I have noticed leaking on the drivers side now and I don't have the tools to loosen the bolts holding the caliper. I took off the cap and filled per the directions everything was okay. I went to Lake Cumberland and checked every time I stopped and all was good. I went to check the boat yesterday and noticed I had a lot of grease on the passenger side again. I have spent way more time worrying about my hubs and carrying all my tools every time I fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffry View Post
    Hey guys I appreciate seeing the advice. I have a 2011 Legend with original trailer. I replaced my passenger brakes and hub last year. I fished the Toyota Owners Tournament on Pickwick Lake in August driving from Louisville, Ky. I noticed some leakage and was able to have someone help replace the rear seal at the hotel. I have noticed leaking on the drivers side now and I don't have the tools to loosen the bolts holding the caliper. I took off the cap and filled per the directions everything was okay. I went to Lake Cumberland and checked every time I stopped and all was good. I went to check the boat yesterday and noticed I had a lot of grease on the passenger side again. I have spent way more time worrying about my hubs and carrying all my tools every time I fish.
    Depending on miles, have you inspected the wear sleeves? Over time they’ll wear a groove and the seals will leak.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Depending on miles, have you inspected the wear sleeves? Over time they’ll wear a groove and the seals will leak.
    Spot on. Removing those wear sleeves is a knuckle buster. Last ones I did for a partner had a groove on sleeve and slung grease everywhere. Instead of replacing sleeve I got new seals and a big flat washer pretty close to the OD size of the seal. I used a 3" X 3" X 1/2" piece of Lexan and put the washer on top of the new seal and drove the washer/seal flush with hub face. Seal was set about 1/8" deeper on sleeve and had a new wear surface, worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Spot on. Removing those wear sleeves is a knuckle buster. Last ones I did for a partner had a groove on sleeve and slung grease everywhere. Instead of replacing sleeve I got new seals and a big flat washer pretty close to the OD size of the seal. I used a 3" X 3" X 1/2" piece of Lexan and put the washer on top of the new seal and drove the washer/seal flush with hub face. Seal was set about 1/8" deeper on sleeve and had a new wear surface, worked great.
    You can change the seating depth both ways just make sure it's true or it will wear the seal prematurely..
    A little heat on the sleeve can make it easier to remove (some times)

Thank you for the input, weather permitting I will work on the trailer this week.