Thread: Ghost or Force?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ghost or Force?

I’m getting ready to upgrade trolling motors and would like to hear from those of you that have one or the other. Pro’s and Cons. I’m really on the fence. I’m a Lowrance guy at heart but Garmin has my interest with Livescope.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Based I what I have seen read and even had suggested on these forums the Ghost is the current king

3. Member
    Hated my Ghost when I bought it. Spot lock would twist like a snake's tail. Down loaded current software and the spot lock is rock solid. Super easy on my five year old batteries. Don't know if it's the best, but I am satisfied.

4. Member
    I made switch from uktrex Lowrance to all garmin this year and can’t imagine anything better.

5. Member
    I have spoken to several who have the Force and most have stated it is not worth the money. A great deal of plastic but does have a brushless motor. I do own the Ghost and like the above poster stated since the update of software I can’t imagine there being anything better on the market. I would say to match brands though if you want to utilize all the features of any of the brands.
    2019 Skeeter FX-21
    250 SHO
    Lowrance 16” Live & 12” Live
    Ghost TM

I've used the both. Not much difference between the 2. Pick the one you want and go with it. "Too much Plastic" now that's funny!

Oh, and if you do need service on your new TM you might look into who will take care of that in your area. If you need to call for support which company does it better.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I went with the Ghost. It's a great product. I did quite a bit of research and had considered Ultrex and Force. I run Lowrance electronics so I did like the idea of a "system" if I want to integrate everything. The brushless motor is just awesome. Its quiet and holy torque, it'll get up and go around 6-7 on the dial if you forget where the setting is you might get wet.

Anchor lock is wicked good and this things sips and I mean sips power. That is what we really like. At this price point there are subtle difference but you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands. With the proposedrumors of Lowrance releasing a Livescope like product next month it will be interesting to see it's true capabilities. Their first swing was a huge miss and ya gotta believe they know they can't screw it up again or it will be a long uphill climb and may never catch HB or Garmin.

I have had the new Ghost for 3 months. It has been great so far. I had the Ultrex before. It was a very good trolling motor. Anchor lock is smoother on my Ghost than on the Ultrex. The Ghost has a brushless motor which bottom line uses less battery power to produce the same power. I have experienced my batteries charging more quickly. I used to fish with my trolling motor on 6-7 speed with my Ultrex but now 4-5 with my Ghost. No experience with the Force so I can't fairly comment on it.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

9. Member
    I have the force its new only been out a few times but so far love it. The mount is solid I mean real solid . Mainly went because I feel garmin is way above as a company.

10. Member
    I must add some more input. For the past thirty years I have only had MinnKota with the soft start. The Ghost does not have soft start and around 7 or 8 speed it will nearly throw me out of the boat.

11. Member
    Force here... never thought to myself it was too plastic either, it's heavy as heck.

Go with whatever makes sense with your electronics!

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I must add some more input. For the past thirty years I have only had MinnKota with the soft start. The Ghost does not have soft start and around 7 or 8 speed it will nearly throw me out of the boat.
    Thats strange, my ghost has a nice variable startup and a soft slow down to it. It does turn quick though.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

Got the force and it sips power too. I have about 20 trips on it and it has been solid.

14. Member
    Thanks guys. Great responses!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

15. Member
    Wonder about New Motor Guide Tour Pro?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    Haven't used the Garmin so can't comment on it. I have used the Ghost for a full year now, and can attest to it being a great motor. Love the interface with my HDS units for running routes and autopilot to waypoints. Absolutely zero interference with the brushless motor and the built-in sonar and downscan. The pedal provides smooth resistance for a cable feel, without the cables. Love how quiet the motor is, and how quietly it stays on anchor. Love that the head does not spin around. The motor is easy to deploy and retract, which my 67 year old body appreciates greatly. Once I swing the motor past the halfway point on deployment, I can let go of it and it gently but securely locks into place. Retraction is also easy with the large gas assist tube. Battery life is exceptional, and you can quickly shift between 24 volt or 36 volt if you lose a battery in your 36 volt setup. This is the fastest motor I have ever used, and the quietest. I also have the remote, but the motor is so easy to control from either the pedal or the HDS Autopilot screen that I rarely use the remote. My only wish for improvement is a thicker propeller for when I get too shallow in rocks.
    ciao,
    Marc

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I went with the Ghost. It's a great product. I did quite a bit of research and had considered Ultrex and Force. I run Lowrance electronics so I did like the idea of a "system" if I want to integrate everything. The brushless motor is just awesome. Its quiet and holy torque, it'll get up and go around 6-7 on the dial if you forget where the setting is you might get wet.

Anchor lock is wicked good and this things sips and I mean sips power. That is what we really like. At this price point there are subtle difference but you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands. With the proposedrumors of Lowrance releasing a Livescope like product next month it will be interesting to see it's true capabilities. Their first swing was a huge miss and ya gotta believe they know they can't screw it up again or it will be a long uphill climb and may never catch HB or Garmin.
    Supposed to be December 4th and from what I’ve heard it’s just as good or better than the garmin from a source that was running both side by side.

18. Member
    3 full seasons on my Ultrex and no issues! Something to be said for trouble free quality, spot lock is perfect, foot pedal is perfect, true cable drive, quiet, powerful, strong repair/customer service network, and remote has an actual digital screen. The new trolling motors have made some refinements in some areas that have cut into MinnKota sales, but they are not game changers. These new motors from other brands are finally good enough that if you run Lowrance or Garmin you can now say there is an option good enough to leave MinnKota for the sake of electronics compatibility. These are all good motors with each having very small advantages in one area or another with electronics compatibility being the major decider for the buyer. These motors are so close to the same, I think you would be a fool to purchase a motor that isn’t compatible with your chosen electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    These new motors from other brands are finally good enough
    Finally good enough? They've only been out for a couple of years. It took Minnkota at least 2 years to address bugs in the Ultrex uncovered during the customer testing phase and there hasn't been near the volume of complaints for the Ghost or Force since they became available. It's not even close.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Finally good enough? They've only been out for a couple of years. It took Minnkota at least 2 years to address bugs in the Ultrex uncovered during the customer testing phase and there hasn't been near the volume of complaints for the Ghost or Force since they became available. It's not even close.

The dude is smoking some crack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast