Thread: Lake Meredith?

Lake Meredith?

Ok, I know, it's not the best known lake in the state. But that said, it's only a half day's drive for me, and I have been scouting places that I might be able to do a weekend trip over the winter to get away from frozen Colorado. It seems the water is really low, but can you still launch a boat on it? What would I expect to find going down there as far as bass? Anything decent sized? I know the smallmouth state record is from there, but I guess it was before the lake nearly dried up, so I wasn't sure if it was worth the drive there.

Thanks!
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

2. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Many good lakes in the area. Lake Travis, Lake LBJ, Buchanan Lake, Canyon Lake-Rio Guadalupe has cabins and Rv sites-2 miles from the dam, Lake Austin, Little further south is Choke Canyon-One of my favorites, Out west and closest for you is O.H. Ivie. I would avoid Meredith as it has not fished well for quite a while.

You can launch. It USED to be a great smallmouth fishery -- not sure if that will ever come back without a lot of help and some good water. Since it's under federal jurisdiction and a source of drinking water for as far south as Lubbock I don't see that happening
    Heard some good reports last year and some this spring from a few locals. I went twice in June to work on boat and new electronics. Caught some small bass but thats all. The good reports have gone silent-- you never know if its because the fishing sucks or those who are doing well got lock jaw.
    IMO I would go farther south if possible.. Even when fishing was good at Meredith winter time could be a humbling experience. Plus that the winter weather around here can bite you real quick.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 11-26-2020 at 09:49 AM.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I haven't been on Meredith in probably 25yrs. That was before it almost drying up. Even back then, I would take Ute or Conchas in NM over it.

No doubt !! Except this year-- not sure what the current status is but New Mexico lakes have been shutdown by the governor more than they've been open. First time in 40 years I've not bought a NM fishing license.. I consider Ute as my home lake. We had secured tournament permit before covid and wound up losing the money. Didn't attempt to schedule any NM lakes for 2012. All in Texas

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yeah, forgot about their lunatic governor shutting the state down. If the OP wants to put in a little more windshield time, I'd suggest maybe Hubbard Creek, Possum Kingdom or OH Ivie. Alan Henry might not be too bad, but access fees there suck. Haven't fished it in 5-6 years.

I think your spot on with those choices..
    I've not been on Henry either. The reports I've heard claim if you want some numbers the spotted bass will oblige and theres still an outside chance to catch a fish of a lifetime but there few and far between. We quit having tournaments there 2008 because of the fees. So I've not been back.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I think last time I was on AH was for a Mel Phillips tournament years ago.

Never fished one of his on Henry.. But fished my share at Meredith and Greenbelt-- I think the last one of those I fished was around 96 --- dam --I'm getting old.