Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disconnect speedo and water pressure gauges for winter?

Does anyone disconnect their speedo and water pressure gauges for the winter?
    Like pull the hose off the back?
    I've never done it but having new gauges have me worried about freezing as the boat is outside (boathouse)
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

2. Member
    For the 9 years I lived in Kansas and owned a boat I never disconnected mine and never had an issue

3. Member
    Some guys install a T in the line near or under the console and drain it that way. Get a T with a cap that you can remove. The water will drain from the gauge side. Just take the hose off from the pitot at the back and blow some air through it. It should push any water out the T. That way you won’t have to remove the line from the gauge
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Yes. I disconnect mine. Been thru 3 wp gauges. Sneaky cold nights got em b4 i had it prepped. I now have plumbed in a T myself with a cap and works well. Its usually 1/8" tubing.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Yes I replaced 2 gauges before I installed a T in the line and with the plug, when I get home I pull the plug out of the line let it drain, never happened again and I try to use my boat all winter long as long as the water don't get hard...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I probably went 10-12 years in a row with doing nothing, then two years in a two I had my water pressure gauge freeze and quit working. I have never done anything to my speedometer hose. In fact I have never use it for speed because I rely on GPS for speed. Recently I removed my speedometer an installed a smart gauge for my motor.

Regarding the water pressure gauge I did install a drain...I cut the line about 2-3 inches before it goes into the gauge and installed a T. Then I ran a hose straight down about 18-20" and zip-tied it to something secure. The hose just hangs down but its not in the way of my feet. On the end of the drain hose I have an air line fitting that has a plug. I use that because I had a spare one lying around. If buying a person could use a on/off valve. When I am done for the day in cold weather I simply pull the plug out of the fitting. I do this before my drive home. There might be 1-2 teaspoons of water drain onto the carpet so its no big deal to just simply let it drain on the carpet. Once I get home I re-install the plug.

This is not what I used because I had spare stuff lying around to make my own drain. I have recommended this to other people in the past and it will work. This kit contains what you need or you can go to a store that sells aquarium supplies and pick up the hose and fittings...

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-...427937&sr=8-17s

Actually there is enough in that kit to make two so if you know someone else who wants to make a drain you can split the cost.

Nope, I use my boat every month in ND, they may not function till they thaw but if the gauges are functioning correctly there should be no water in them. So they won't break.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Yes take the hose off

9. Member
    That depend on the boat and yr.Some of the newer models .The water does goes to the guage, but sign.The water stop's back in the transom area.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Does anyone disconnect their speedo and water pressure gauges for the winter?
    Like pull the hose off the back?
    I've never done it but having new gauges have me worried about freezing as the boat is outside (boathouse)
    YES, I lived in northern Oklahoma and it would get cold enough in the garage to freeze the water in the speedo and water pressure lines. I always took the approach better safe than sorry. Replacing gauges is expensive and sometimes it is hard to find older models to match. If nothing else at least pull the line and drain the water in the lines.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    My speedo has never frozen and don't know why, but my water pressure guage did twice before installing the T better safe than sorry I drain mine into an old gatorade bottle with a hole in the cap for my drop line off the guage
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    So I uncover the boat today to disconnect the hoses from the gauges.
    Ended up cutting them as my upside down patients was at the limit.
    Both lines were dry. Guess it wasn’t necessary. I’ll reconnect in the spring and not bother in the future.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

13. Member
    i unhooked mine after reading about them freezing so bad. no water was right at the gauge but used a vacuum and the hose was full of water. anybody have any issues with the hose freezing and busting?

14. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Yes I never use to until I had to buy a new water pressure gauge several years ago, I also blow the hose out with air because I have I had a hose split and had to replace that also when I owned my Champion.
    LeaLea

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    That depend on the boat and yr.Some of the newer models .The water does goes to the guage, but sign.The water stop's back in the transom area.
    But yes if water reach any guage , it wise to un-hook it are use some can of drain in the line.
    If the water stay at 32 degress for a while it will freeze. " Unhook "

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I probably went 10-12 years in a row with doing nothing, then two years in a two I had my water pressure gauge freeze and quit working. I have never done anything to my speedometer hose. In fact I have never use it for speed because I rely on GPS for speed.
    Same - went years with no issue and then the thing went south one winter

I have disconnected the new one every winter since
    "The handicapped angler"

17. Member
    The hose on my WP ga has real heavy walls, so no bursting issues... but the ga had frozen. I plumbed in a drop tee with an air compressor shut off on the end.

18. Member
    Both lines were dry. Guess it wasn’t necessary. I’ll reconnect in the spring and not bother in the future.
    Since you cut the hose why not put a T in with a drop line and cap it, then all you would have to do next year is remove the cap.

Guess I've been super lucky. My boat gets stored in unheated storage every winter in MN without me worrying about this and I've not had the first issue. If I don't have issues here, I'd feel pretty confident folks won't have issues anywhere. Maybe it's the design of my boat?

To be fair, the speedo line I tied off a long time ago as it's completely worthless even when the intake isn't clogged, but the WP gauge still functions great. Best I can tell it's original to the boat and the boat is a 1995.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

20. Member
    There water in the line . Has drain back to the back of the boat . The line is like a snake up and down .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast