Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Don't much care what HB, Lowrance or Garmin do at this point. I'm happy with my little livescope setup, and I doubt HB's introduction of a similar system will cause mine to stop working.

2. Member
    With HB being transducer only and no black box I don’t see it being as good as LVS32. It may be more in line with the LVS12. If they can put everything in the slim HB transducer to match today’s full LS system I will be impressed.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    If I had to wager money on it I would guess garmin isnt coming out with anything new and decided it was now more profitable to license the tech out. I dont know why people would think that the lowrance and humminbird stuff could not possibly be better than the garmin is ridiculous. Just because they license the tech doesnt mean they wouldn't be able to come out with a much better version of it... Time will tell but I'm on the side that believes theres going to be a lot of butt hurt garmin people.
    i wonder if this might be the case. Patents have a 20 year life. And Utility patents 14. Perhaps they decided that in order to monetize the patents, it would be best to license out before they expire in order to capture max value. With the share that HB has, maybe Garmin’s calculation is they can monetize faster leveraging HB’s installed based rather than continuing to build or take share. More cash faster means this money can be deployed back into the development of the next gen.

Also Garmin is probably familiar with the HB launch timing...or at least a timing range. They were smart to take advantage of the BFriday buying cycle to give incentives to lock up share of those that have been holding out but wanting to make the livescope leap.

There is a good chance that the HB product is decent given they are leveraging their mega plus processing technology. V1 might come w some bugs but they will be worked out quickly and those waiting in line won’t care as early adopters value being first over being perfect.

Garmin has one major trump card in its cost to manufacture, so Garmin could use price as a major incentive to continue to drive share. Wonder if they will use this bundled pricing approach to sell more systems which include the monitor and adjoining accessories. It’s all about building an installed base AND walletshare within that base.

Im a brand guy only if I feel a brand has truly earned my loyalty. Also what trumps brand for me is value. That is, quality/cost. In this situation I am wanting to add a dedicated screen. A HB system will be in the range of $3,000+. An equal garmin setup will be around $2000...especially when there is a rebate like what they have now. Shop around and you will be able to find it for a decent amount lower than what is advertised on these “Black Friday deals”. So, Garmin’s strategy just might be working. Idk.

Finally, I will play the long game. This technology will only get better. I have two birds on board but am jumping on this garmin rebate deal. I will take that $1,000 savings and spend it on the next proven “standard” as it gets worked out and hopefully drops in price. Maybe it will be garmin...maybe HB...we will see. In the meantime I’m confident it will take me a while to maximize the benefit of this current garmin generation while I wait.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 11-25-2020 at 11:35 PM.

The technology in sonar is at the point where its changing every few months. What you buy today will more than likely not be the hot new item 6 months from now. I will use Panoptics as an example. The first time I heard of it was 2017 when Scott Martin used it to win the FLW event on Lake Cumberland. Go watch the youtube videos and you will see the screen images are very different that what's being used today because they use a different transducer, so hence a different picture image. Even the screen image we have seen for the last 1-2 years has changed. When they went to the current transducer they use today the only option was down view or forward view. If my memory is correct in the early part of 2020 Perspective view came out. This is the view where you turn the transducer sideways so the view is more outward but yet still captures the bottom. Its best suited for fishing in 10 ft of water or less. It works in deeper water but its intention is to have the best shallow water picture....so my point is since 2017 there has been multiple changes in Panoptics. Now I am not calling out Garmin I am just using them as an example. Hummnibird and Lowrance has had many different changes as well in recent time. Again hence the reason don't worry about holding out for new technology in the sonar department because there is a good chance that within a short period of time something new or updated will be released. If there is a Garmin, Humminbird, Lowrance or X brand unit making what your looking for right now then now is the time to buy. Holding out will just delay getting in on what's cutting edge right now.

5. Member
    I don't work in marketing or business, but it doesn't make sense to come out with a competing product that is far inferior to the current leader in the market. It doesn't mean that Humminbird won't do it, but if they have decent people running the organization, they would not release a product that cannot compete with Garmin. It doesn't matter to me, because I'm not in the market for either system right now.

Looks like the games afoot!

Garmin is raising the bar to a new level

From Garmin

Various techniques are described herein for pro viding three - dimensional functionality to frequency steered
    sonar array systems . Three dimensional sonar is beneficial in several ways : better awareness of structures and their true shape ; ability to track a target such as a fish or a lurei.e . turn the transducer with full knowledge of which direction the target is travelling . The three dimensional techniques described herein may be utilized in combination with com puter vision to automatically identify underwater targets to
    pan one or more transducer mounts and / or control a trolling motor to properly position the sonar . Targets may be tracked and pursued and records of every cast and retrieval may be made automatically to make records of , and / or alert the fisherman of significant events such as fish pursued lure and / or fish struck lure . Additionally structure may be iden tified and tracked to hold position on the structuree.g . , control the sonar system to continue to insonify the structure and its surrounding areas despite movement of the system . Such functionality improves sonar performance for the
    fisherman he or she is able to continuously image an underwater target without manually tinkering with the ori entation of the trolling motor and / or sonar transducer
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Looks like the games afoot!

Garmin is raising the bar to a new level

From Garmin

Various techniques are described herein for pro viding three - dimensional functionality to frequency steered
    sonar array systems . Three dimensional sonar is beneficial in several ways : better awareness of structures and their true shape ; ability to track a target such as a fish or a lurei.e . turn the transducer with full knowledge of which direction the target is travelling . The three dimensional techniques described herein may be utilized in combination with com puter vision to automatically identify underwater targets to
    pan one or more transducer mounts and / or control a trolling motor to properly position the sonar . Targets may be tracked and pursued and records of every cast and retrieval may be made automatically to make records of , and / or alert the fisherman of significant events such as fish pursued lure and / or fish struck lure . Additionally structure may be iden tified and tracked to hold position on the structuree.g . , control the sonar system to continue to insonify the structure and its surrounding areas despite movement of the system . Such functionality improves sonar performance for the
    fisherman he or she is able to continuously image an underwater target without manually tinkering with the orientation of the trolling motor and / or sonar transducer
    Consider a transducer on the bow trolling motor, and another one on a transom trolling motor or stick. Or, two at the transom, or two at the bow.

Fishing off the side of the boat, or between the two transducers, a 3d image could be constructed on your display units. Up to now, we've been trying to track moving targets with one eye.

There's your next step.

Garmin’s 3d live scope is the next big thing!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    I heard it has a small very targeted but very powerful electro fishing device embedded in it that you can point at the fish that makes the fish swim toward it and causes them slight confusion so they are more likely to bite.

10. Member
    Without Bird or Lowrance running the extra processor box like Garmin does currently I don’t believe they will even come close to working remotely the same. Humminbird and Lowrance don’t have the processor required to run multiple transducers at once nor does Garmin. This is why Garmin has the black box to help with the ability. I’m pretty sure Garmin has multiple transducers built into there one they have currently. Only time will tell but also remember the Lowrance was the next best thing when they announced there’s and it was a huge flop. Humminbird has a lot of great stuff going for them and I love there units. Sell a ton of there units but until there is actual video showing it working it’s hard to take a gamble

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I don't work in marketing or business, but it doesn't make sense to come out with a competing product that is far inferior to the current leader in the market. It doesn't mean that Humminbird won't do it, but if they have decent people running the organization, they would not release a product that cannot compete with Garmin. It doesn't matter to me, because I'm not in the market for either system right now.
    Yeah, Humminbird will have to come out with something that is perceived as being better.

12. Member
    Same here. I’ll be shocked if Humminbird doesn’t come out with something at least just as good as livescope.

13. Banned
    Yeah, it'll be whatever Garmin licenses them to use.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I mean....it didn't stop Lowrance.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    I mean....it didn't stop Lowrance.
    Lowrance licensed the use of the original Panoptix from Garmin. This was when Garmin was releasing LiveScope.

16. Member
    Lowrance licensed the use of the original Panoptix from Garmin. This was when Garmin was releasing LiveScope.
    Mmmm, not quite.

I had Lscope on the boat for the second season when Lowrance released their offering.

The Panoptix part is probably correct since it looks very similar to the Garmin PS21 I am still running along side the Lscope.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Mmmm, not quite.

I had Lscope on the boat for the second season when Lowrance released their offering.

The Panoptix part is probably correct since it looks very similar to the Garmin PS21 I am still running along side the Lscope.
    And that's how licensing works. Garmin didn't provide the materials and units. It took Lowrance a solid year to modify their software and produce the hardware needed to release LiveSight.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Yeah, it'll be whatever Garmin licenses them to use.
    Garmin didn’t license Mega 360 did it? Humminbird apparently has some design capabilities in-house.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob52O View Post
    Garmin didn’t license Mega 360 did it? Humminbird apparently has some design capabilities in-house.
    Garmin doesn't have 360 anything on their units. Not sure what you are getting at. BUT, if Garmin wanted to do a 360 type of 2D sonar then Garmin would have to seek licensing from Humminbird. HB holds the patent rights to that technology.

These companies, many companies, can't just do whatever they want. They're not free to use another company's intellectual property without legal authorization.

Much like AMD and Intel. The two largest CPU manufacturers on the planet. Intel holds the x86 licensing, AMD holds the x86-64 and AMD64 licensing. Modern CPU's use both technologies. If either company decided to pull their licensing to the other CPU manufacturing would cease to exist. If Garmin pulled licensing from Lowrance today, by tomorrow production and sales of LiveSight would cease to exist.

20. Member
    Time will tell but anything will be better than what I have now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast