2013 Mercury 175 Pro XS No Start

Model 1175P73EY 2013 Mercury Pro XS Optimax. After making short run then stopping for a minuet or so when I went to start to move to another fishing spot the starter would functions as it should, the engine would turn over but the engine would not start. The engine kill switch was the first thing I checked it wasn't activated. Once I returned home from the lake I connected the water hose to the engine muff and correct connections of the engine and tried starting motor again. I did see a then a good amount of gas coming from the area of the lower engine. I plan to take boat/motor to service tech after Thanksgiving but just really curious in what my problem or problems might be at this time. Any ideas ?

2. Member
    Take the cowl off and look for an obvious fuel leak. Other than that, best thing you can do is shut it down until you can get it into the shop. Best of luck.
    Last edited by jbh3; 11-25-2020 at 12:05 PM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please check your serial number... believe you provided a model number.

The fuel could be due to an internal leak that's flooding the engine, OR due to no-spark and you cranking it a lot.

Check and FULLY CHARGE your cranking battery. Make sure connections are CLEAN, Engine cables installed FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest and finish off with a Stainless Nut or Locknut (do NOT use wing nuts).

A discharged battery may be able to spin the starter, but NOT be able to hold the contacts of the MPR (Main Power Relay) CLOSED while cranking the starter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sorry 'bout that Don. The Serial # 2B018990. Originally I did pull cowl off and found nothing but I just went out and tried starting the motor. it started this time but rough run. Let it run for a 1 minuet shut it down pulled the cowl and found signs of fuel at what I think is fuel rail on right side of engine. Set up taking to Tech Monday for their diagnosis and repairs.
    Last edited by Speedboat; 11-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Smart move- if there's fuel leakage inside the cowling that must be addressed before running it again (potential fire or explosion hazard).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yes Sir I hate it but will have tech as soon as he can probably Monday after Thanksgiving. Thanks Don.