RPM signal from a 15hp

how can i get RPM signal from a 15hp (J15REDG) ,
    could i use a gauge like the one from my intruder ? no use for the speedo anymore (not precise)with gps and would replace it in dash with a matching full size RPM from faria

Tiny Tach - quickest and cheapest way to see rpm

https://tinytach.com/installation-gas
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    I was going to post the same. You can also order one with a custom length cable so it will reach and can be mounted on a console. It also keeps track of hours since installation.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    thanks , i did see that , still looking to see if there is a way to use a full size tach

5. Member
    another vote for a tinytach. i used one for years on a suzuki 55 commercial pull start that had no 12v. it worked great and was quite visible on the dash. i also tried to mess with success by adding a rectifier from a 65hp suzuki that used the same stator. i still think it should have worked, but it overcharged the battery and fried two tachs before i gave up on it.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukidave View Post
    i also tried to mess with success by adding a rectifier from a 65hp suzuki that used the same stator. i still think it should have worked, but it overcharged the battery and fried two tachs before i gave up on it.
    Trial and error,,,
    Last edited by omcforever; 11-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Trial and error,,,
    yep, a cautionary tale. informed trial and error. a suzuki dealer mechanic suggested it and sold me the rectifier, but they said up front it was a guess since they had no parts info for that motor. the motor was a stripped down grey market import that local fishermen liked as a skiff motor and was not officially supported by suzuki. the rectifier plugged right in to correct pig tail wires and it worked, but it did not regulate the voltage.

the tinytach was a lot less headache.

8. Member
    If your motor has the electric start kit, a regular outboard tach that runs off the alternator connects right up to the rectifier. A manual start motor is not set up for a traditional tach, only a sensor tachometer such as the Tiny Tach, or install a battery charging kit to the engine.

9. Member
    ok guys , Tiny tach its gone be than , thanks .