Lews Super Duty 300

About to buy a reel for throwing A-Rigs and 1 to 4 ounce swimbaits. Looked at the Tranx but it seems a bit heavy. I am no leaning toward a Less Super Duty Wide Spool or the Lews Super Duty 300. I like the handles on the 300 better.

Anyone have any experience with the 300?

2. Member
    I do not have 300 reel experience. The Tranx IS heavier but I find that I love it for these applications because it balances out the longer rod with the heavier bait. Maybe 300 series reels are even better? Don't know, but the Tranx fishes smaller than it would seem.
    -Matt

Same here but the new Daiwa Tatula 300 is one very solid, very well built reel just made for swim bait and a-rig fishing.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Same here but the new Daiwa Tatula 300 is one very solid, very well built reel just made for swim bait and a-rig fishing.

More line capacity on that Tatula too. Have you fished it?
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mingo72 View Post
    More line capacity on that Tatula too. Have you fished it?
    I have made some casts with a RH demo model, but the left hand 6 ratios just came back in stock, so I haven't grabbed one for myself yet, but will have it very shortly. Going to pair mine with a Kage 79MHRB umbrella rig rod (awesome by the way!!) We did crack a 300 open to check out the build quality and it is solidly constructed for sure. I actually really like the 110mm handle on this particular reel.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I have made some casts with a RH demo model, but the left hand 6 ratios just came back in stock, so I haven't grabbed one for myself yet, but will have it very shortly. Going to pair mine with a Kage 79MHRB umbrella rig rod (awesome by the way!!) We did crack a 300 open to check out the build quality and it is solidly constructed for sure. I actually really like the 110mm handle on this particular reel.
    Thanks. That's helpful. I bass fish most of the time but when we travel we like to Musky fish. I need crossover reels. Using Tranx now without complaint but had my eye on the 300 Tatula for the line capacity.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mingo72 View Post
    Thanks. That's helpful. I bass fish most of the time but when we travel we like to Musky fish. I need crossover reels. Using Tranx now without complaint but had my eye on the 300 Tatula for the line capacity.
    You're welcome. The Tatula 300 has been really popular with a lot of guys who also striper/hybrid fish, below dams, etc. because it's so tough and holds a lot of line. I know several musky guys have been jumping on the 300 as well.

8. Member
    Great info so far. Thanks, Not interested in the Tatula because of the line guide and the fact I use braid to leader. Have several Tatulas from Tackle Trap that I love for straight flouro.

On another note, how are handles measured? Center of knob to center of knob or edge to edge?
    Last edited by squib; 11-25-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Great info so far. Thanks, Not interested in the Tatula because of the line guide and the fact I use braid to leader. Have several Tatulas from Tackle Trap that I love for straight flouro.

On another note, how are handles measured? Center of knob to center of knob or edge to edge?
    No worries on the Tatula 300. Some guys don't mind the braid to FC on T-wing reels, others don't like it, to each their own!

The measurement is center post to center post of the handle knob shaft.

10. Member
    Thanks Bronzefly. I figured it was center to center, but I have figured wrong before.

11. Member
    I have the 300 and like and haven’t had any issues. The knobs are round and therefore are disliked by some people. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one if I had a need for it. I don’t know if you have been price shopping but Sportsman’s Outfitters has them for $140 and they are a sponsor here as well.

12. Member
    Got my Lew's 300 in and fished with it Saturday. No complaints. I like the handle and it cast and retrieves well. Also has a pretty cool integrated bait hanger/holder.

13. Scraps
    I bought the Lew's 300, on impulse after hearing Hackney rave about the performance, for the same application, but sent it back. It was bigger than I expected. Nice, well-built reel. I think the SD or wide spool SD may be a little more low profile. If you can try both out, put 'em in your hand, that may better decide for yah. I am still looking at the prices on Sportsman's and may buy one to really give it a try.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD