Question Waiting on Boat Registration from SCDNR - anyone know average turnaround time??

So obviously there's Covid and its affect on business and staffing, etc..

Also, the marine industry saw a record sales year in 2020.

When I bought my last boat in 2015, it was 9-weeks.

I'm at 9 weeks right now on the new boat, and something tells me not to be surprised if it were another 9 weeks.

That being said, anyone know how long of a wait it is for registration info from the DNR these days?

thanks
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

2. Member
    I always just drive to Columbia and walk into the office. In and out within a hr. Last time I mailed them in. It was about 5 weeks.

3. Member
    I bought my boat the first week of Sept and just received my registration in the mail yesterday.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhook View Post
    I bought my boat the first week of Sept and just received my registration in the mail yesterday.
    Okay. I'm a little behind you then. Bought mine later in September.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    I bought a boat on May 30th. Out of state and a non title state. I mailed in the information on the 24th of June. It been sent back two times for missing information from mistakes they have made. I've sent the paper work back. I finally get both the motor and boat titles and both are incorrect. Boat was listed as aluminum construction and the motor as a Johnson. The boat is fiberglass and the motor an Evinrude. After many talks with the office it could up tp three months.

6. Member
    Probably a few more weeks for it to be received. Took over 3 months to get mine.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I went to the office in Clemson back in the day and got everything done right there. Don't know if they still do it there anymore though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I went to the office in Clemson back in the day and got everything done right there. Don't know if they still do it there anymore though.
    I believe they still do. Since I bought the boat from a dealership in NC, it just didn't occur to me to see if I could take the paperwork in myself. I'm thinking it'll show up here in the next couple weeks.
    I got a trailer tag in the mail from the DMV a month ago. Wasn't expecting that, but I guess that goes back to being a NC deal. I'm actually kinda wondering if I'll get slapped with a property tax bill on the trailer now since it's registered. I'm not putting the tag on, but it's in my desk.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhook View Post
    Same just got mine yesterday as well also applied in September

10. Member
    I think you can still go in but I would call ahead for hours.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    I believe they still do. Since I bought the boat from a dealership in NC, it just didn't occur to me to see if I could take the paperwork in myself. I'm thinking it'll show up here in the next couple weeks.
    I got a trailer tag in the mail from the DMV a month ago. Wasn't expecting that, but I guess that goes back to being a NC deal. I'm actually kinda wondering if I'll get slapped with a property tax bill on the trailer now since it's registered. I'm not putting the tag on, but it's in my desk.
    I didn't put my tag on either . Bought mine in NC also . Got property tax bill on hull and motor . No bill on trailer .

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    If you have a trailer tag. You will get hit with a property tax bill. I always just have them give me a certificate of ownership.

13. Member
    Hey guys - decals and registration showed up on Monday! Check that box.
    Appreciate all the responses and happy fishing!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250