New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question on drag link on Johnson Fastrike ?

On the front on my motor is the arm the comes out that the drag link attaches to and goes over to the end of the cables, there are 3 holes in this arm, my drag link is connected the the hole closet to the motor and my friend said why don't you move this arm out it would give it more leverage or something while we were working on my steering system. Where is everyone else with an 90's Fastrike have there drag link connected to the motor and does it matter?? I can post a pic later... IMG_3760.JPG
    Last edited by twitch; 11-25-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member

Question good question

20201109_120501.jpg
    mine is at same position , maybe reach shorter ? i wondered about it too .
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Gentlemen, go back to the basic geometry of a circle. Moving the drag link out will reduce the steering angle and increase force needed to steer.
    Remember the stroke of the steering cable is fixed to 8 inches left to right travel.

4. Member
    thanks bighare

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Finished up the install of new helm and cables , now I'm reading about removing some of the play with the 2nd tube or outer tube but not really sure what they mean...it says to adjust the outer tube to remove the free play then try the boat then keep adjusting till most of the play is out. You can't remove all the play on cable steering though will take it as it comes now anyone ever dealt with this chime in ok

7. Member
    yup i did when changing cables+helm few years ago , you can only remove the play between the cables not the helm , there is always play in the helm .

8. Member
    Dan is correct about the helm end play. The adjustment puts one cable in tension and the other in compression..... just a little when done right. This removes the slop between the inner core cable and the “conduit” that the cable moves within.
    Adjusted too tight and steering is too hard/tight. Adjusted too loose and there remains slop between the two cables which while has the least steering friction, creates the most slop in engine movement and hardest to drive.