Trailer upgrades

After loading my 2003 Stratos 185 by myself I have come to the realization that I'm no spring chicken any more. Getting off the bow to the trailer takes some effort that my agility finds challenging,lol. Looking at 2 upgrades

1- new 2 speed winch. The Fulton F2 seems to have good reviews, but comments say bolt up can be difficult. Anyone have one of these and any issue with bolting to your trailer and do you think it was a good replacement winch to the original winch?

2- steps. I want to add a bolt on 3 step unit. I would think 3 steps with a pole is the way to go. Any recommendations on steps?
    Easystep and Trick Step seem to be 2 of the brands i have seen advertised. Can anyone share any pros and cons of the different steps available
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

I feel your pain. My new Allison has one they designed and the only one I have experience with. I like the grab bar as it's centered at nose of boat.. It's only two steps above the trailer so I use the trailer tongue as a first steep. However with a 4 wheel drive truck it makes that first step a little tall. If possible my suggestion would be to try each one before deciding. Good luck.

Get one of these !! No more having to wench the boat at the ramp !!!

https://www.ramp-n-clamp.com/default.asp
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    As far as steps I went with Boat EFX steps, very solid built steps. I'm 6'1", 255 lbs with couple of worn out knees and these are perfect, I feel so much safer getting in and out of the boat. The powder coating matches up to my Nitro trailer.
    Here's a link.
    https://boatefx.com/

I just ordered the Trick Step. 10% off list price through Sunday.
    Anyone buy the lock they sell to deter theft? I didn't get one, but am second guessing myself now.

6. Member
    The Fulton 2 speed wench is worth the effort to put on. The trick is to get the lock washer down just far enough so it is in the slot to stop the bolt from turning when tightening the nut. Its not that hard. I would put it on even if I had to have a shop install it. In high gear it is so easy to winch up the boat. Also get the trick step. I have one on my boat trailer as well.

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Get one of these !! No more having to wench the boat at the ramp !!!

https://www.ramp-n-clamp.com/default.asp
    Interesting.
    Mitch can you provide a video using this on your Ranger?

8. mikesxpress
    Lynn I went thru the same research on access steps for my rig years ago and didn't like the aftermarket steps offered due to the amount of interference they created while backing/turning. I fabricated my own to fit the existing trailer configuration.

Cool set up. Love homemade stuff. Your carport for your boat is way too organized, lol

10. Member
    I fish alone a lot. Heck most of the time. I put my tailgate down and then I step from the tailgate to the bow and reverse that when trailering the boat. I also step up on my left rear wheel and use the bed rails to pull myself into and out of the bed. Works well for me and my truck is a 4x4. And it didn’t cost me anything. Don’t know if that helps ya or not but I learned it from watching someone else who was fishing alone. I can launch by myself without a dock easier than most who have a partner and a dock to assist them.

11. mikesxpress
    Robert I've watched guys do that. For those of us 60+ years old it's not a good option.

12. Member
    I launch alone several times a week all winter and keep a pair of hip boots in my truck to not get cold and wet. On steeper ramps I don't have to get wet but on shallow ones I put the boots on. After I turned 80 I can't jump down anymore from the tailgate.

Wow Alex you are an inspiration!!!. I'm hitting 68 next month and looking forward to keeping up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Interesting.
    Mitch can you provide a video using this on your Ranger?
    I had it on my last boat, but haven't put it on this one yet. It's next on my list of many upgrade I'm doing. I have a friend that has one on his Ranger 117, I'll try to get a video from him. I had a Boat Buddy on the one before that one, but they are no longer made.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents