Thread: Setup info

Setup info

I just recently bought an 03 TR20 with a 225 optimax on a 6”setback hydraulic Jack plate pushing a 26 tempest plus. I would like to maximize its potential. Any information would be helpful

2. Member
    The components you have listed are good. Only possible upgrade would be 8" setback vice the 6". What are your max RPM and GPS speed numbers? You will need to be able to drive the boat to reach it's potential. It's a low-mid 70's combination with a early 225 (not a Pro XS).

3. Member
    Curious how high your motor is set to turn the 26 with any kind of load. See my set up below it’s about as good as I have been able to get and maintain a good hole shot with a tourney load and still run to 70 before I run out of prop. Good luck and have fun with it. They are great old boats!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

4. Member
    I have had it out a few times. At holeshot, I have the motor down all the way. Once on plane, I trim it out to get the hull out of the water. Once it starts to chine walk, I start lifting the jackplate until it stabilizes. I am still getting about 12 on the water pressure which is within acceptable limits for the motor. For those with manual jack plates, someone told me it needs to be set at 1.75 under pad. I have a hydraulic plate so I just raise it to the point it stops the chine walk at WOT
    Last edited by wassupc; 11-26-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Mia spelled

5. Banned
    Wassupc do you start with the jackplat the whole way down?

6. Member
    I have but still playing with it to find the sweet spot. Vent plugs as well

7. Member
    8” or 10” JP, 2 1/2 PTP to start with, gets some #’s on performance then send to Mark Croxton and have him add a little cup and balance & blueprint,, it will be $$ we’ll spent and prolly will wake it up a bit. All the research I did on stock Merc props suggests they are out of balance and the blades aren’t symmetrical
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

8. Member
    01 TR20 225 opti. For me the switch from 6 to 8 did nothing, waste of money. The best I had was 2" below pad with 25 tempest plus BB by Croxton. 5650 71mph empty at 800'. A little better at sea level. 25 Fury performs about the same but I had to add extra vent. I tried a 26 Tempest but it was junk.