Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Credibility of the Bible and Christ himself

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member

5. Member

6. Banned
    Is Sproul a full preterist? I have been led to believe he os/was not.

7. Member

8. Member

9. Member

10. Member

11. Member

12. Member

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Is Sproul a full preterist? I have been led to believe he os/was not.
    No he was not a full preterist.

Robert Charles Sproul (/sproʊl/ SPROHL; February 13, 1939 – December 14, 2017) was an American Reformed theologian and ordained pastor in the Presbyterian Church in America. He was the founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries (named for the Ligonier Valley just outside Pittsburgh, where the ministry started as a study center for college and seminary students) and could be heard daily on the Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast in the United States and internationally. Under Sproul's direction, Ligonier Ministries produced the Ligonier Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, which would eventually grow into the 1978 Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, of which Sproul, alongside Norman Geisler, was one of the chief architects.[4][5] Sproul has been described as "the greatest and most influential proponent of the recovery of Reformed theology in the last century."[6][7][8]

15. Member
    Back in 2000 a friend of mine went to a Sproul conference ....................After the conference sproul had a book signing and you could ask a question of your choosing . My friend ask sproul "what keeps you from being a full preterist" ? Sprouls response was simple and straight forward "the resurrection".

The topic of the "resurrection" was the last major doctrine I studied while on my journey. That is why I highly recommend the book "Exegetical Essays on the Resurrection ". It can be bought at Don Preston's website but Don is not the author of the book.

When trying to understand 1Corinthians 15 and other resurrection passages and verses it is important to understand the Greek words Paul used and also what tenses in those passages were used? what was the rabbinic understanding of resurrection, what was spoken about the resurrection in OT and how did they define the term, How did the Pharisees, Sadducees and Essenes understand the term ect "?.

You have to properly define the meaning of " death " to understand "resurrection " and to define "death" and all of its different usages in the OT............ it takes a lot study as well.

One of my AhHa moments was when I asked myself the question............................Why was John the Baptist wondering out in wilderness PRIOR TOO JESUS'S PUBLIC MINISTRY preaching about repentance and the Kingdom of God and quoting a bunch of OT end times, last days verses ? what was the meaning and significance of Jesus's comment he was "the Elijah that was to come " ? That is a great study as well.

There are so many nuggets in the scripture we just need to study without prejudices to find them

16. Banned
    The Elijah to come is an interesting one.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    The Elijah to come is an interesting one.
    You my friend are on point.

We know without a doubt what Malachi prophesied would happen when Elijah came

“Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
    “And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.” (Mal. 4: 5–6.)

Jesus even quotes the OT passage here and states Elijah had come already :)

4Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5The blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepersc are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. 6Blessed is the one who does not fall away on account of Me.dJesus Testifies about John
    (Malachi 3:1–5; Luke 7:24–35)
    7As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swaying in the wind? 8Otherwise, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? Look, those who wear fine clothing are found in kings’ palaces. 9What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10This is the one about whom it is written:

‘Behold, I will send My messenger ahead of You,who will prepare Your way before You.’e

11Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subject to violence,f and the violent lay claim to it. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.g

​We have butchered the words of our Lord just to save our pet doctrines instead of aligning our beliefs with the Word of God.

There is no reason to have to have charts and graphs to explain "the last days". The bible teaches the doctrine of "last days" in such a way a child can understand it.

18. Member
    GBS,

I do not know if you have listened to any of the series here in this post but one of the fascinating things Sproul points out in Post #11 entitled the "Beast" .......................is that in variant manuscripts you will find 616 instead of 666 and why that may be important.

19. Banned
    I've been really busy, have not listened yet, but I plan to

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    You my friend are on point.

We know without a doubt what Malachi prophesied would happen when Elijah came

“Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
    “And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.” (Mal. 4: 5–6.)

Jesus even quotes the OT passage here and states Elijah had come already :)

4Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5The blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepersc are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. 6Blessed is the one who does not fall away on account of Me.dJesus Testifies about John
    (Malachi 3:1–5; Luke 7:24–35)
    7As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swaying in the wind? 8Otherwise, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? Look, those who wear fine clothing are found in kings’ palaces. 9What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10This is the one about whom it is written:

‘Behold, I will send My messenger ahead of You,who will prepare Your way before You.’e

11Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subject to violence,f and the violent lay claim to it. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.g

​We have butchered the words of our Lord just to save our pet doctrines instead of aligning our beliefs with the Word of God.

There is no reason to have to have charts and graphs to explain "the last days". The bible teaches the doctrine of "last days" in such a way a child can understand it.
    John the Baptist as Elijah - doctrine.org

This seems to be the most logical explanation to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast