Smallmouth Junkie!

250 SHO wintering?

Does anyone know of a YouTube video showing how to winterize a Yamaha 250 SHO? I did a search and could find nothing. Or any other how to information? I always take my boat in but I would like to learn to do it myself so I can extend my fishing season. It is very difficult to get this done late in the year.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

2. Member
    Its an outboard, not much you HAVE to do as far as winter/cold weather. Only thing I ever do is make sure the motor is trimmed down so water does not collect in the lower unit. But I tend to use mine 11-12 months a year. You probably want to add some Marine fuel stabilizer and either now or in the spring change your oil and lower unit fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by BttrBn View Post
    Its an outboard, not much you HAVE to do as far as winter/cold weather. Only thing I ever do is make sure the motor is trimmed down so water does not collect in the lower unit. But I tend to use mine 11-12 months a year. You probably want to add some Marine fuel stabilizer and either now or in the spring change your oil and lower unit fluid.
    That is pretty much all I have ever done on my SHO. I keep it stored indoors. Run fuel stabilizer, change the oil, change lower unit oil, change sparkplugs, change fuel filters. Tilt the motor up and down several times to make sure all water has drained out. Last winter apparently my digital water pressure sending unit froze cause I couldn't get any reading on it this past season till I replaced the unit.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member
    What they said. When I replace the plugs I spray a little fogging oil In The cylinders. Then park it for 4 months in WI
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Thanks for the responses!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66