Thread: F-n-f question

F-n-f question

Those that do this type fishing what weight of braid do you use for main line .

2. Member
    I use 15 lbs sufix 832. It's fun to catch them on the bobber, but damn it's boring.

3. Member
    I use 6 lb fireline and a 4 or 6 floro leader. It is a blast to catch them on the bobber!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I use 15 lbs sufix 832. It's fun to catch them on the bobber, but damn it's boring.
    Not near as boring as staring at the screen with a crick in your neck all day Damiki fishing in my opinion. On a side note...….I am from NE TN from where the technique first became popular about 30 years ago and fished with some of the best at it.

5. Member
    Back when I used to do it, never used braid. Straight 4-6 lb mono. Dropping a Damiki and tightlining are more productive for me.

6. Member
    We fish the bobber at Dale hollow and Norris. I went off of what Steve Hendricks suggested. 10# power pro braid to the three way swivel then 4-6# floro leader too the fly or jig you want. The rod should be 9-10 ft.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    We fish the bobber at Dale hollow and Norris. I went off of what Steve Hendricks suggested. 10# power pro braid to the three way swivel then 4-6# floro leader too the fly or jig you want. The rod should be 9-10 ft.
    ^ This ^

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    That's how I learned to do it, also.

9. Member
    Thanks to all I learn from Bob Coen have done it for years then quit going south. Going to try in Illinois this winter.

10. Member
    Have fished the fnf for years and have never used braid. 4-6 lb Pline for me. No 3 way either, just a float and fly.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Have fished the fnf for years and have never used braid. 4-6 lb Pline for me. No 3 way either, just a float and fly.
    That's the way we always did it when I managed to get out there in the cold. Me and another member here had a banner day on the Cumberland by tipping the fly with a tuffy minner. We weren't tournament fishing, just thought we would see if it would work in that muddy water. Bet we had three over four pounds that day.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That's the way we always did it when I managed to get out there in the cold. Me and another member here had a banner day on the Cumberland by tipping the fly with a tuffy minner. We weren't tournament fishing, just thought we would see if it would work in that muddy water. Bet we had three over four pounds that day.
    Ive used the minnow too. Nothing wrong with hedging your bets. Not that braid is bad, I just prefer Pline for my use. When its on, the fnf is about as much fun as you can have fishing.

13. Banned
    Just curious as to which fly you guys use and what weight? I caught them really well on the f-n-f here in central nc last winter on a spro phat fly 1/8 oz in the blue/white color. I tried it on a couple smallmouth lakes as well but I never got it to work. Idk if I was in the right areas or using it too deep or what. I could catch the spots and largies on it though. I loved catching them like that.

14. Member
    I've don't use anything heavier than 1/16. I've got a few of the Spro flies, but never had any luck on them. Punisher/Dale Hollow Tackle has good ones. If you use Facebook you can usually find some guys on there (on fishing/tackle pages) this time of year selling custom tied flies as well.

15. Member
    Most use the duck fly 1/16oz. But a bait that works great is a tiny fluke on a darter head 1/16oz.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

16. Member
    Agree with otis44 on the Punisher jigs. Depending on wind, I use either 1/16 or 1/8.

We usually use a lunker city 2 1/2 inch fin-s or the small gulp minnow. Always used the braid with a 3 way swivel and a floro leader. Braid is allot more manageable in the wind and cast allot further. If you guys are looking for the punisher flys its under a new name now with a new owner. Dale hollow tackle is the name of the company now.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    We usually use a lunker city 2 1/2 inch fin-s or the small gulp minnow. Always used the braid with a 3 way swivel and a floro leader. Braid is allot more manageable in the wind and cast allot further. If you guys are looking for the punisher flys its under a new name now with a new owner. Dale hollow tackle is the name of the company now.
    I found them and bought some of their flies. Thanks.