Am I being too picky?...what to do?

I'm replacing all of my compartment lids on my 2000 R83VS. I had to contact Ranger a couple weeks ago because one of the lids they sent was the wrong size. They seemed unaware that the two dry storage lids on the rear deck were two different sizes (honestly, I thought they were the same size as well until I lined them up side by side), so they had me take some measurements and send those measurements along with a picture showing the old lids and new lids side by side. The lady at Ranger called me back a few days later (after I called to request a follow up since she hadn't gotten back to me) and said that they were going to make a new lid, which is pretty much exactly what I expected to happen. A couple days after talking to her, the battery/bilge compartment lid showed up. When I pulled the lid out of the box and started looking it over, I found a small spot where it looked like the carpeting was cut or damaged. I will attach a pic to show this. Since I already had the lady at Ranger's email address, I decided that instead of trying to find a time to call and wait on hold, I'd just take some pics and email her directly. It's now been a week and I've sent a second email about this. First off, am I being too picky with a blemish like this? I don't feel I am considering the money that these lids cost, but maybe I am. Second, should I continue to email this individual or wait until I have a day off and call Ranger about it? If I call, should I mention the emails and lack of response? I don't want to come off as a jerk, but I only have 30 days from the receipt of the lid to contact and get this resolved (according to the invoice) and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels trying to get someone to respond. I completely understand that they are very busy but considering that I emailed her directly, I would think that a simple "got your email and I'm looking into it" reply wouldn't take much time to send me. As of now I've gotten 5 lids that were perfect, 1 that was the wrong size (they're making a new one but it will be 8-10 weeks before I get it), one that was damaged, and one that still hasn't shown up yet (was ordered at the beginning of August).
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I wouldn’t accept that. It’s certainly not going to get better with time! If you’re paying for them, at least the carpet shouldn’t be messed up. Hope you get it all worked out!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    Well, it is thanksgiving week, so maybe she is off this week? If she gave you her e-mail and good service, I would continue to work w/ her about it. If you haven't heard back by mid next week, I would call.
    if you only have 30 days, you are covered in that you e-mailed her within that time period. She is who you had been working with, so would think it is the right person.
    I would get it made right, if I were you, like Casslaw said, it is not likely to get better.

Your fallback plan could be to heat it up a bit w/ something hot...and melt it so it doesn't fray, but that is a last resort.

I am confident they will make it right for you...all they have to do is have you send that back and re-carpet it...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice. It is certainly possible that she has the week off, so I will wait until next week to see if she gets back to me. If the bad spot was in an area that would make it easily concealable, I would just keep it. But where it's at there isn't anything I can think of to do with it that will cover that spot up.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Corey, as I’ve mentioned many times on this forum, email responses are like unicorns. I don’t know why, but that’s certainly the way it is and has been for quite a few years. If I were you I’d call the customer service line at WRMG. Alternatively, I’ll mention your order situation to someone at Ranger and see if they will call you back this week. [Don’t know the time-off situation in this short, holiday week.] When they contact you, have your order number ready, which will make it much easier for them to track your return. — John
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    I’m picky too and I’d have to send that one back.

7. Member
    I’d also send it back. I had blemishes on my lids and carpet too, but it was small stuff (bubbles under carpet that went away). They need to make it right, and they will, they are good about that. Be glad you started your project when you did. When I placed my order in November of last year, for exactly what you ordered, it was April before everything was right.

8. Member
    Yeah that’s messed up and no you’re not being too picky. Probably an oversight on their part. I’m sure they’ll make it right

Your not being picky to expect the lid to be done right. Any chance that could have been done in shipping? If that lid made it out of parts like that...inexcusable.

You do have an option for repair if you want to minimize your delay getting on the water. You can trim that blemish carefully with small sharp scissors, then cut some fibers from a non exposed area, use the absolute minimum super glue to put those fibers in the area until you get it full...then trim it down flush.

I’ve done this before in boats that I’ve gouged the carpet or worse some guys cigarette burned a small spot. If you take your time and do the repair carefully...you can’t tell there was a blemish.
    Last edited by dean c; 11-25-2020 at 07:27 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Corey, as I’ve mentioned many times on this forum, email responses are like unicorns. I don’t know why, but that’s certainly the way it is and has been for quite a few years. If I were you I’d call the customer service line at WRMG. Alternatively, I’ll mention your order situation to someone at Ranger and see if they will call you back this week. [Don’t know the time-off situation in this short, holiday week.] When they contact you, have your order number ready, which will make it much easier for them to track your return. — John
    John, thanks a bunch for your help. I received a PM from a guy at White River Marine and supplied him with my order number and hull ID. He said he's going to check and get back to me but it might be next week considering the holiday. That's fine by me. I definitely hear you with regards to email responses, as I've emailed them multiple times in the past and have received exactly one reply, and that reply was about 2 months after I sent the original email. The only reason why I felt this would be different was because I was emailing an individual and not the general email account. This individual had helped me very recently with my other lid problem so I figured it was ok to email her directly. Maybe she's on vacation or out sick. I just don't always have the time to call during their operating hours and so email works better for me. As long as everything gets taken care of, I'll be happy. Again, thanks for helping me out.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Your not being picky to expect the lid to be done right. Any chance that could have been done in shipping? If that lid made it out of parts like that...inexcusable.

You do have an option for repair if you want to minimize your delay getting on the water. You can trim that blemish carefully with small sharp scissors, then cut some fibers from a non exposed area, use the absolute minimum super glue to put those fibers in the area until you get it full...then trim it down flush.

I’ve done this before in boats that I’ve gouged the carpet or worse some guys cigarette burned a small spot. If you take your time and do the repair carefully...you can’t tell there was a blemish.

I actually took photos of all four sides of the box it came in to prove there was no damage during shipping (in case they asked for some proof). I actually thought about trying to do as you suggested with trying to repair it, but figured I would wait and see what Ranger had to say before I did anything. The last thing I want is to screw it up even more trying to repair it and then have them tell me that because I messed with it they won't replace it (not sure if they would do this or not, but figured it would be best not to test that theory).

12. Member
    Being picky, will the new lid colour match the ones they just made?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

13. Member
    No you're not being too picky. If you don't hold them accountable their service will continue to decline.

14. Member
    There's no way I'd accept that.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Just so you guys know, a Ranger representative contacted Corey yesterday and is working on rectifying his issue.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    Appreciate the feedback guys. John helped me out and forwarded my post to White River Marine and I just got a call from Karrie who said that they are going to make a new lid and get it out to me. I'm sure it will still take awhile to get it, but at least I know it's being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Appreciate the feedback guys. John helped me out and forwarded my post to White River Marine and I just got a call from Karrie who said that they are going to make a new lid and get it out to me. I'm sure it will still take awhile to get it, but at least I know it's being taken care of.