no map shading on 9ti?

I've got a 9ti. It came from the factory with a Navionics card in it. I've been trying to make shading of depths work but when I touch that menu button nothing happens except that a red triangle shows up in the lower right corner. I assume this means that feature does not work. Do I need to buy a better map card or is it the 9ti that is limited? That map card does show contours on it on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I've got a 9ti. It came from the factory with a Navionics card in it. I've been trying to make shading of depths work but when I touch that menu button nothing happens except that a red triangle shows up in the lower right corner. I assume this means that feature does not work. Do I need to buy a better map card or is it the 9ti that is limited? That map card does show contours on it on the screen.
    Start by reading this (it's the same on youre Elite): https://navionics.secure.force.com/k...en3-and-Carbon

3. Member
    thanks for that link. It is quite a complex thing. Based on what I see here https://www.navionics.com/usa/lp/charts/bundled-offers I must have received some kind of bundle, although it says Elite Ti2, doesn't mention 1. I do have some kind of generic navionics card that was bundled so my best guess is that its a lower feature card that doesn't offer features like changing map contour map colors based on depths. Browsing that sd card with my pc this
    Directory:US
    Type:Silver
    Chart:NEB-3
    Version:3.30
    Edition date:
    Description:navico elite bundle
    Copyrigth:@Navionics
    so now it looks like I need to determine what silver does for me. At least its not bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    thanks for that link. It is quite a complex thing. Based on what I see here https://www.navionics.com/usa/lp/charts/bundled-offers I must have received some kind of bundle, although it says Elite Ti2, doesn't mention 1. I do have some kind of generic navionics card that was bundled so my best guess is that its a lower feature card that doesn't offer features like changing map contour map colors based on depths. Browsing that sd card with my pc this
    Directory:US
    Type:Silver
    Chart:NEB-3
    Version:3.30
    Edition date:
    Description:navico elite bundle
    Copyrigth:@Navionics
    so now it looks like I need to determine what silver does for me. At least its not bronze.
    You got a Navionics+ card in that package deal. That is the only Navionics product that has nationwide coverage=the US thing.
    The regular large Navionics+ card has US and Canada coverage.
    There are region Navionics+ cards also==replaced the Hotmaps Premium Region product.

You need a Hotmaps Platinum Region card to have those extra settings.
    The link in post #2 is about the Hotmaps Platinum product even though it is not stated. It's the ONLY product that has photos and 3D.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I had a chat with with the Navionics chat support person. According to him I have to have an active card. I should have asked more about what an active card means. Like does active mean I have to pay for a subscription?

Here's a clip of some of the discussion.

Anthony P (11/24/2020, 12:39:59 PM): Your current card is not activated, and it cant be updated. Therefore, you do not have access to advanced features.
    Anthony P (11/24/2020, 12:40:20 PM): Fishing Ranges is an advanced feature.
    Me (11/24/2020, 12:40:45 PM): ugh, but how do I know if the updated card if I bought it would have that feature?
    Anthony P (11/24/2020, 12:41:13 PM): Yes, any active Navionics card will give you access to that feature.

So the question really is what is an active card?

An active card is a card that you have register on Navionics.com after the purchase; you have 2 months following the purchase to activate it. The card in the bundle (package) need to be register. Use Edge or Google Chrome.

7. Member
    unfortunately, when I bought the unit I did not know that I had to register the navionics card separately from Lowrance. The map worked fine, if had not worked and put up a message then I would have known to register it.. So I missed my chance. Not sure if Navionics is unique about this but it sure is annoying how they put these gotchas into the process. It turns out for the areas I fish in that the built in Lowrance maps have better detail anyway. However, they don't support the customized depth colors that I was looking for. I suppose I will just sour grape it and say I didn't really care about that feature anyway.