School Me on Modern Muzzleloaders

So, a buddy of mine has out of the blue decided to buy a muzzleloader and try and catch our late deer season. He grabbed a CVA Accurate PA .50 last night with a vortex 3x9 scope. I’m pretty well versed on shotguns and rifles but I don’t know anything about muzzleloaders..... I’ve started the YouTube research, anyone well educated on the modern muskets and care to help me focus my search. I don’t want to buy just a cheap base gun to get buy if I can avoid it, I prefer to buy the right tool to do it right and grow into it.
    Thanks in advance for the wisdom
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Most of the modern in-lines whether it be TC, CVA, Traditions, etc.... have all proved to be accurate and reliable. What it comes down to for me is ease of removing the breech for cleaning. I went with a TC Omega when I upgraded from my dreaded knight. I think the other brands have easy access breech plugs. Despite the advancements in powder, you still have to clean them. I don't use pellets, I use loose 777 and shoot Barnes 250gr expander sabots.

Now here is another option I just heard about from a gunsmith. There is a shop in KY that is making a smokeless powder ML that shoots 700yds. Base price starting at $2500.

Most any of the top muzzleloader brands (CVA, Thompson Center, Traditions) will do what you want. As mentioned above, ease of removing the breechplug is a big deal.

Go browse muzzle-loaders.com and compare the different brands and styles. I suggest the KISS method for powder and bullets. Pyrodex pellets and sabot-style bullets (I like Hornady MonoFlex ML bullet).

I have been ML hunting for 30+ years, and have killed more deer with my ML than with centerfire. It’s a lot of fun.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    There is at least one muzzle loader that uses smokeless powder and I believe it was a Remington. I think the number one issue new shooters have is hang-fires. I switched to Blackhorn 209 and that virtually eliminates hang-fires as well as constant cleaning of the barrel. You can shoot 100 shots without cleaning and Blackhorn is not hygroscopic, meaning it doesn't absorb moisture. I can load my rifle the night before the season and leave it in the gun even for weeks! Only have to remove the primer when shooting time is over. Knight muzzle loading rifles are still in business, but at a lower scale than years ago. Look them up online. Their line-up of rifles is impressive.
    The attached picture is my Knight Extreme Hunter I bought before the original Knight company went under. The company that bought them out is still producing the guns under the Knight name. The Knight 500 is their current long range rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sunny Jim; 11-24-2020 at 05:06 PM.

5. Member
    The smokeless muzzleloader was a Savage. I have one. It was my first muzzleloader. I have actually gone to mostly shooting a 54 round ball using goex out of a percussion rifle. It is more fun than the savage for sure.

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I recently upgraded to a CVA Accura V2 LR. In just a few minutes at the range I was splitting bullet holes at 200 yds. I have been shooting triple seven pellets with powerbelt aerotip bullets for years with no complaints.

I started looking at them as well. Local dealer has a few brands but raves about the Knight rifles. He does have one with the laminate stock and stainless barrel similar to Sunny Jim's pic above but his listed price is $849 !! I borrowed one from a friend to try a few shots with but I'm not sure I'll buy one.
    The plus side for me is Massachusetts is a shotgun only state so at least with a muzzle loader you can get better accuracy at distance than a slug.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    I started looking at them as well. Local dealer has a few brands but raves about the Knight rifles. He does have one with the laminate stock and stainless barrel similar to Sunny Jim's pic above but his listed price is $849 !! I borrowed one from a friend to try a few shots with but I'm not sure I'll buy one.
    The plus side for me is Massachusetts is a shotgun only state so at least with a muzzle loader you can get better accuracy at distance than a slug.
    That is why I bought a muzzleloader. On the army base here it is shotgun or muzzleloader and IMO the muzzleloader is a superior hunting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That is why I bought a muzzleloader. On the army base here it is shotgun or muzzleloader and IMO the muzzleloader is a superior hunting gun.
    Ever shoot a Savage 220 or Savage 212 slug gun? Might change you mind about your thoughts on slug gun accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Ever shoot a Savage 220 or Savage 212 slug gun? Might change you mind about your thoughts on slug gun accuracy.
    I recently sold a Mossberg slug gun that shot Hornady SST slugs extremely well. I would definitely pick a good slug gun over a ML, unless I just wanted to hunt with that method (which I have done). Those Savage bolt guns are pretty sweet. I may buy one in left hand at some point.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    I recently sold a Mossberg slug gun that shot Hornady SST slugs extremely well. I would definitely pick a good slug gun over a ML, unless I just wanted to hunt with that method (which I have done). Those Savage bolt guns are pretty sweet. I may buy one in left hand at some point.
    Yes sir, they are shooters. I’ve got a 220 and it shoots as good as a rifle with Remington 3” Accutips. That’s the load Savage recommended in the owners manual and they were right.