Thread: Fuel Filters

Fuel Filters

Does anybody use aftermarket fuel filters in their Optimax?If so what brand?
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

2. Member
    i would not trust a aftermarket one,i didnt think the oem ones cost that much i would not chance on it

3. Member
    I wouldn’t trust after market. They don’t cost all that much and you’ll know it’s a quality part. I have used after market filters for bilge mounted filters for other engine brands though.

4. Member
    No.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I have also used aftermarket fuel filters in the past and have noticed no difference in quality even racor has filters for optimax at 2/3 the price.
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have seen a NUMBER of aftermarket filters for the 3L Optimax that actually CAUSED debris in the system.

Some of the more common problems are failed crimp strips and dissolving media/adhesive.

For the VERY SMALL overall saving, stick with the OEM components (that are backed by the Engine Manufacturer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Local Mercury dealer said they haven't had any issues with Marpac fuel filters, as an alternative to the OEMs, when OEM stock is in short supply.