fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar

S2 Glass with Zentron Fiber Blanks

Looking at a line of rods that say they are S2 Glass with Zentron Fiber blanks. Will these over time loose they’re strength or break down I guess it is like traditional glass crank bait rods? Not familiar with this type of blank and don’t wanna sink the money in one if it will be a limp noodle in a couple of years. It would be used for shakey heads and jigs.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 11-24-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

2. Member
    Where are you getting your blanks? None of my glass rods have changed into noodles in a few years. Sounds like a myth, like graphite becomes brittle and will fail if fished in cold weather. Right, I guess all those parts on the planes flying at 60,000 ft. at mach 2 are magically infused. What does the "S" in that type of glass stand for again? What types of graphite is used in our blanks? You really think there is enough money in a super graphite only developed for fishing rods and only a few companies have access to it? Right.
    The high modulus glass you're talking about have been around a long time, it just cost way more than a graphite, or composite that was acceptable and fit the price point necessary for the market. Gary Loomis was talking about getting G Loomis to use it before he left, along with the graphite he uses now at NFC. When was GLX first marketed again? 1994. 26 years ago.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 11-24-2020 at 05:07 AM.

3. Member
    The older zentron has been around for a while, but the newer version is from 2019.. this is what NFC uses in their NEO and Delta rods.. the Delta rods are tough but weigh right around their imx rods or less. Zentron is a refined S2 glass fiber used in the aerospace community.
    Last edited by jglenn21; 11-24-2020 at 07:57 PM.

4. Member
    I'm interested in what blanks you're talking about too. I'll build a couple and let you know how they turn out. Unless you're talking about a finished rod.

I'm not familiar with zentron but I've got some Seeker BS706s that have to be close to 20 years old that still fish the same as when I built them. Those were probably the first "popular" Sglass blank for bass fishing. Before that most glass blanks were Eglass which is where a lot of people get that glass rod = noodle thought.

There are a couple types of "Zentron" fiber. Zentron is the trade name of glass fiber made by AGY here in the states. One of the versions is older and been around a couple decades. One is newer - having been released in the past couple years.

The benefit of this style fiber is it has an effective modulus like carbon fiber but the elongation properties of glass. Zentron is a very good fiber to blend with carbon fiber and it's a pretty popular material. Basically as a material it bridges the gap between e-glass and carbon fiber.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    There are a couple types of "Zentron" fiber. Zentron is the trade name of glass fiber made by AGY here in the states. One of the versions is older and been around a couple decades. One is newer - having been released in the past couple years.

The benefit of this style fiber is it has an effective modulus like carbon fiber but the elongation properties of glass. Zentron is a very good fiber to blend with carbon fiber and it's a pretty popular material. Basically as a material it bridges the gap between e-glass and carbon fiber.
    Alex, you have any blanks with it?

7. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    This is what a rod company listed as the blanks that they use. It’s a company I’m not familiar with and I do not know anyone that has used they’re rods. I ordered two of they’re cheaper imported rods that are not this blank and they are nice rods. Was thinking of trying they’re higher end rod which is made in house and that is the blank that is listed. I guess When I hear glass blank I think of crankbait rods.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

8. Member
    The Seeker BS706S blank is a crankbait blank, mine is only 15 years old, but still the same stick I built than. Very popular.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    The Seeker BS706S blank is a crankbait blank, mine is only 15 years old, but still the same stick I built than. Very popular.
    I just mentioned the BS706 because it's the Sglass blank I'm most familiar with...and now the Rod Geeks but those have a graphite blend ass end. I was thinking but didn't type in my reply that I don't think any Sglass blank would make a good shakeyhead or jig rod. Sglass isn't very sensitive at least when compared to graphite. Anyway yep it's a great crankbait blank, jerkbait, some guys use it for spinnerbaits, swim jigs and buzzbaits with braid and I've thrown a bladebait on it.

NFC does make a blank with Zentron (Hybrid CB705 Zentron, 706 Zentron). I placed a NFC order yesterday and grabbed one of each to see what they're all about. They're only like $45.

10. Member
    Heck the Delta blanks now are like 35-$37 right now. I have a few coming along with hm stuff

11. Member
    I have an use the Hybrid Delta you reference. Though this def not a rod for bottom bouncing baits. But works great for keitechs, rattle traps, chatterbaits etc... Its got a nice bend to it. But has power in the but. Great for moving baits def not for shakey heads tho not sure what u plan to use it for. Thick butt for sure. Same blank used on the kistler feel n reels if that gives a reference