AVX 1980 Motor Preference

I'm thinking about ordering a 1980. Which motor would you pick Merc or SHO?

2. Member
    My vote goes to Merc
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

Not the SHO, but an F Series Yamaha...about as bullet proof as outboards get.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Just went from Yamaha back to Mercury. The new 4 strokes Mercury’s are amazing. Mercury has a huge dealer net work so my choice was Mercury with the 8 yr platinum warranty.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    Has nothing to do with Vexus...but my first bass boat in 1991 had a Merc and it was unrefined and obnoxious. We repowered with a Yamaha and it was a major improvement. I was always of the opinion I would never waver from Yamaha but years later I ended up buying a Tracker with a four stroke Merc and it has been exceptional. I am not knocking Yamaha at all. I just know this Merc has been lights out for the years I have run it.

6. Member
    I would talk to owner and/or service manager at Wedowee Marine (Vexus dealer) and go from there. They sell both motors and have a deal on the Yamaha this week that’s pretty sweet, but they would know what service or warranty work they have had to do on both outboards. Service/Warranty work keeps you off the water, so it is to be avoided. Ask me how I know:-(
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

7. Member
    There only as good as the guy that's going to fix them. Both are great motors. What dealers around you have the best service dept?
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance