2007 Optiax 225HP -- Plug Question

I have an '07 Optimax that has right at 400 hours. I had to put a new lower unit on it a few months ago (hit something) and when they did that they put new plugs in the motor. I haven't only used the motor for roughly 10 hours since the new plugs were installed. I always run the Quickare / Quickleen coctail in every tank of gas. I noticed that i was recently having some issues with the engine being sluggish out of the hole but would still run great at the top end. Took it in to get it winterized and told them about the sluggish issue. They checked the gas (no issues), cylinder compressions (all good) and the plugs (said they were very dirty and needed to be replaced).

Any thoughts on what would make the plugs go bag / burn up (not sure of the proper term) after only 10 hours +/-?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How, or at what RPM's was the engine run DURING that 10 hours?

What oil are you running?

What fuel treatments and fuel brand/octane are you running?

How much IDLING or low-RPM operation?

Is the engine coming up to operating temp on BOTH cylinder banks?

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    How, or at what RPM's was the engine run DURING that 10 hours?

What oil are you running?

What fuel treatments and fuel brand/octane are you running?

How much IDLING or low-RPM operation?

Is the engine coming up to operating temp on BOTH cylinder banks?

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Sorry man.......boat is back in storage and I have no idea what my Serial Number is. I seldom run my motor wide open and don’t do a lot of excessive idleing. I run Optimax oil. I use the Quickare and Quickleen cocktail that was recommended by one of the Mercury board sponsors / experts......may have been you. I have no idea about the temp on BOTH cylinder banks. I make sure to let it get good and warmed up before taking off. I wait until I see the TEMP on the smartcraft quake ramp up and then start to drop. I run 87 Octane and most of the time it is 87 ethanol gas......hence the reason I use the Quickare and Quickleen in every tank.

I hope that answers your question. The Mercury guys that winterize my boat every year were very perplexed. They said I could have gotten some bad gas. They recommended that I bump up my Quickare / Quickleen cocktail usage.

It seems like the sluggishness gets worst later in the day.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for the info- it does help.

Two areas that I would be looking at carefully when it's pulled out of storage:

1. Air/Fuel Pressures (record result) at idle, under acceleration, and at 5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown.

2. Test/Inspect BOTH thermostats to confirm proper operation. If one is sticking open, the engine will run RICH (there are a couple scenarios where this can occur even when you see "normal" temps).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thanks for the info- it does help.

Two areas that I would be looking at carefully when it's pulled out of storage:

1. Air/Fuel Pressures (record result) at idle, under acceleration, and at 5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown.

2. Test/Inspect BOTH thermostats to confirm proper operation. If one is sticking open, the engine will run RICH (there are a couple scenarios where this can occur even when you see "normal" temps).

Thanks Euro......