Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I went to the Russell Marine Cull bags and love them. The fish stay super calm in the bags. Culling is easy. The down side is they take up storage space in your boat.

2. Member
    Used the cal coast 2.0 and just couldn’t stand the clips, clamps, what ever they are but I really liked the floats. I bought a old metal stringer for a dollar and took the stainless clips off of it and put em on the floats from the cal coast system. I use em behind the gill plate and they work out perfect for me. The floats are numbered so they are a very nice tool when used with the catch commander scale. It’s culls for you as long as you use the floats in numerical order. No more dry erase boards to get wet or pens to dry out. Works very well for me and makes fishin more fun. By the way, I haven’t any trouble with fish dying on me so far. Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by wannafishmo View Post
    You guys that like the Accucull, Do you like the system(with the board)? Clips look cheap.

They hold up just fine. Easy 1 hand use too.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Fished with the guy that invented the Accucull. Unreal how fast you can cull with this system!

Brent is a super nice guy.

5. Member
    I have bought 5 kinds in last 3 years and finally think I have found one I love. Quick to put on easy to retrieve fish and don't leave any marks or holes in the fish. Hated the lip clips I have tried because they were leaving bad marks on the fishes lips and seemed to be stressing them out.

https://www.jdoutdoorsllc.com/store/...Cull_Tags.html
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I have bought 5 kinds in last 3 years and finally think I have found one I love. Quick to put on easy to retrieve fish and don't leave any marks or holes in the fish. Hated the lip clips I have tried because they were leaving bad marks on the fishes lips and seemed to be stressing them out.

https://www.jdoutdoorsllc.com/store/...Cull_Tags.html
    Iike the idea, gonna give them a try.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have the Ardent clips that I attached to my floating ropes and they work great , easy to put on with one hand and they don't fall off .Been using them for 3 seasons and still work great.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    I use Ardent clips. I fish in brackish water. I noticed the clips were hard to open and would not spring shut on the fish. The pins that the plastic parts hinge on had rusted. I exercised them and hit them with WD-40 and they work better now.
    The manufacturer may have changed the pins to stainless now, but the batch I had rusted.

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    mine sit in the livewell between trips and stay wet for a while and I have had no problems with them rusting or not working as thy are suppose to....Don't know what material is used though..
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Brent is a super nice guy.

11. Member
    I've used the Glory Bags for about 10 or so years now, and won't go back to a clip system. The fish are so sedate when they are in the bags, I was constantly checking on them when I first go the system. But, as soon as you take them out, they go nuts. Only thing I can think is it's like putting blinders on a horse.

Thanks everyone. Im going to try the Catch commander, TH Marine clips, and the Accu cull board. Looks like the clips match the board(except orange). I may be able to use the digital system of the Catch Comnmander. Accu cull board looks so simple, though. Looking forward to Black Friday!
    1999 Triton tr21 225 opti
    2004 Ranger 520vx 225 Evinrude HO
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Evinrude G2

13. Member
    Accu-Cull Easy, one hand operation, and they are better for fish care as they don't stress the fish as much as the larger, bulkier clips.

https://www.culltags.com/

MGM Cull Tags simply the best I have ever used all others are junk compared to these clips.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I too have had issues with fish wanting to roll on their sides and die with the puncture free tags, no matter how they were hooked. Then remove the tag and watch them act like everything is great again. I 100% attribute it to them not being able to close their mouths to force water over their gills. People can say it's not true all they want, I fought with it for an entire season across a couple different brands before I went back to the puncture tags and haven't had a single issue since. Until someone comes up with something that doesn't involve a big chunk of plastic going over their lip, it's going to continue to be an issue. With the puncture style, the only thing in the way of them closing their mouth is a thin wire, not nearly as intrusive.

If you use the puncture style like the right way--by puncturing the soft spot immediately behind the point in their bottom jaw, right at the tip of their "chin"--you don't end up with anything bigger than a hook hole, and definitely have no fish with big gashes in their soft tissue on either side of their tongue. It's people who have no clue that cause those problems. I now only use the puncture free style if I'm in a tournament where it's required.
    This x1000. I never had an issue with puncture tags. I don’t poke a hole though, I go between the first set of gills and the gill plate. Never had any issues this way and my fish always seem to be way more active in the livewell than when I actually caught them. I’ve had some this year turn around and bite my hand when reaching for them.

ive seen tournaments where guys fish are half dead with those clip tags and the guys using the puncture style are healthy even coming out of the same livewell. I don’t trust those clips at all.

if I do fish a tourney where a non puncture tag is a requirement, then I use the Ardent Tags and they work great, but I still only put them on my small fish to be culled just in case
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    This x1000. I never had an issue with puncture tags. I don’t poke a hole though, I go between the first set of gills and the gill plate. Never had any issues this way and my fish always seem to be way more active in the livewell than when I actually caught them. I’ve had some this year turn around and bite my hand when reaching for them.

ive seen tournaments where guys fish are half dead with those clip tags and the guys using the puncture style are healthy even coming out of the same livewell. I don’t trust those clips at all.

if I do fish a tourney where a non puncture tag is a requirement, then I use the Ardent Tags and they work great, but I still only put them on my small fish to be culled just in case
    Just curious if you hava picture of where exactly you put the clip between the gill and gill plate

17. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    Cal Coast 2.0 I have never had a single issue with them.

19. Member
    I put a set of the Cal Coast retro fit clips on the lanyards of a puncture clip system that I used to use. It's true that they can be a pain to use one handed, especially at first, but once you get used to using them they aren't all that difficult to use one handed.

As far as the non puncture clips and problems with fish dying or behaving oddly because of them goes ... I haven't had that happen as of yet, but I have read articles that mention it being a problem.

It's nice to read about the bag system from a couple of people. I had wondered about them possibly being too restrictive to the fish's breathing, or their ability to stay upright because of a loss in the ability to use their pectoral fins. It seems as if they don't cause those problems. I like the idea of being able to weigh fish without hanging them from a clip. And the fish being calmer in them definitely makes sense. How many times have we reeled in a fish with a clump of weeds draped over it's head, and it comes in as lifeless as the weeds being dragged with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12