Minn Kota Maxxum 55 12V Trolling Motor Won't Stop Running

Hello,

I have a newer version of the Minn Kota Maxxum 55lb 12V trolling motor (2007). It has the variable speed pedal. I am having what seems to be a common problem where the motor is stuck "on" and will not change speeds or stop, even when the variable speed knob and the switch are set to "off." Below is what I have done to find a solution.

- I disconnected the indicator light, as another member mentioned this solved his problem.

- I have put in a new control board and this did not change anything. In previous threads seems to almost always remedy the problem.

I was thinking the MOM/OFF/CON switch may be bad, but I would assume that the variable speed knob would still be functioning and allow me to change the speed or turn it off. Could there be a short somewhere else in the wiring that I should be looking for? All of the visible wires seem fine, however I have not yet taken off the sleeve that protects the wires from the head to the pedal. I have also not opened up the lower unit.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Member
    Your saying that the new control board did not make any difference with the way the motor operated before you changed the board. That is very puzzling. There should be only two wires goin from the control head to the motor. Red and Black unless you have the built in sonar. Then it would be 4.
    On the control board the three wires going to the mom / off/ con switch should be wire as follows. with the con down and facing you it should be yellow in the middle, green on the right and white on the left. A short in the motor leads would not cause the motor to run continuously.
    I would bring it yo an ASC and have them stab at it. the list of thing is to long for hear and It would be a lot easier for the ASC to do this.

3. Member
    Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I agree I thought for sure the new board would do the trick.

I purchased the unit for $100 knowing that it only worked in one speed, so I figured worst case I would have to replace the board and I would be good to go. I may just end up trying to sell the unit for what I paid and try to get something back for the new board since I can't return it.

4. Member
    The only remote possibility that I could think of that would cause this problem is that the positive to the motor motor is shortec to the power in wire. The only place that these wires come in contact with each other is in the foot pedal. But is that was the case then you would have found that when you replaced the board.
    Is there any serial number you can fine? would be under the control head. If not there then it would be under the foot pedal.

5. Member
    Thanks Brad! I will double check to see if those wires are touching today. The serial number is WWAH2404158.

6. Member
    No luck. All the wires are in good shape.

My best guess is the switch on the peddle is shorted out, OR the rheostat has gone bad.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Thanks for your input! Is there a way I can easily test those 2 things without ordering replacement parts?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    My best guess is the switch on the peddle is shorted out, OR the rheostat has gone bad.
    The rheostat and the push button(reed Switch) should have been replaced when he replaced the control board. it all comes together as one.
    Are you certain you have applied 12 volts on the board. If you apply 24 volts then it will smoke the board. This is from experience.
    Are you sure you have the correct control board?

10. Member
    Yes, I only have one battery hooked up to it.

11. Member
    had a problem with this one time on same type (except mine was 5 speed) motor. It turned out to be the constant switch on the side of the foot pedal. Took the switch apart and filed the points they were stuck.
    Rocket

12. Member
    Interesting! I just ordered a new MOM/CON switch to give that a shot. I will check out the contestant switch to see if that is easily accessible on my pedal as well. Thankm you very much for your reply!

13. Member
    I replaced the MOM/CON switch and the indicator light today. Still no luck. Even though it is switched to OFF, the second that black wire hits the battery the propeller starts going. I'm going to start tearing stuff apart further to see if I can find anything that is suspicious.

14. Member
    Man you have me stumped. I wish I was closer. I sure would like to find out what is up with that tin.

15. Member
    You and me both! Oh well, at least I am learning some stuff. Hopefully with a positive end result. What if the new board that I purchased is bad? Is there anyway without having another one of the same pedals for me to test it?

I bought it from https://trollingmotorparts.com/ I have sent them 4 emails now with a few questions, they have responded to zero of my actual questions. Their only reply was, you cannot return this motor, here is a link to our return policy. I completely understand that the part cannot be returned, however it would be nice if a company that has "30 years experience" with trolling motors could have the decency to respond to questions that I have. Terrible customer service!

16. Member
    That my friend is why I don't deal with just any web site on parts of this nature. I would go to minn kota with the part number and have them send you a new board from the factory. I would be glad to test both of the boards that you think are bad. If you are interested shoot me a PM. I won't charge you . You just pay the shipping. I will be able to tell you if they are really bad.

17. Member
    Yeah that was me being cheap and trying to save 5 bucks :(