6'6'ish MH Spinning Rod - for kids bass fishing milfoil edges

Hoping Black Friday brings a deal, but need a Christmas gift for my boys. They have the lighter weight rods taken care of, but need a worm rod for fishing heavy weed cover. Would like a 6'6" MH with a softer tip that could some day become their dock skipping rod or the like but today can be used as their multi-purpose bass rod. Would prefer under $150 or even better under $100, but I don't want to buy a throw away and instead would invest in something for the more long term.

Things I have found in that price range and weight (sorted by most expensive first):
    Abu REVO Ike Spinning
    St Croix Premier
    St Croix Mojo Bass
    BPS Johnny Morris
    Shimano Teramar
    13 Fishing Omen Green 2
    BPS Pro Qualifier 2
    Ducket Silverado
    Fenwick HMG
    Falcon BuCoo
    St Croix Triumph
    BPS Bionic Blade
    Shimano Clarus
    Abu Vendetta
    Fenwick HMX

If they need other actions or lengths they can surely use my rods, but want something manageable for them now. All of my sticks are longer. If none of the above are worth keeping long term, feel free to say I am looking for a Unicorn. I have no experience with any of those...

Thank you!

2. Member
    How about the carrot stix on ebay. Whole bunch in your price range. Maybe look at inshore rods also for a med heavy. For has there line of rods around 100$ but might not be heavy enough action.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Off your list, I know it's sacrilege, but that Duckett Silverado is probably going to be the cheapest one with the right tip for what you mention. Even though I've personally sworn off Shimano, the Clarus series of rods is really nice as well; I just think you're going to have a little too much stiffness at the tip for your preferences. If you step down to medium power with the Abu Vendetta that could be a really good option. I think it'll have the right tip, but those rods are heavier powered than others by basically a full power rating (MH will fish heavy) so you'll have too much power with a MH version.

If the new CarbonLite 2.0s are any indication ($20-30 more than the Pro Qualifiers), stay away from the Pro Qualifier 2. I ended up with a second gen CarbonLite on a warranty exchange from an original. The originals were awesome. The new ones, not so much. Aside from the cool dial in the butt where you can remind yourself what size line is on it, they're heavy and dead feeling. I was really disappointed after liking the originals so much, and more generally that a $130 store-branded rod could be so bad.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Star Stellar Lite inshore rod will cost $99 and come with a lifetime warranty. If you buy from BassPro they warranty them over the counter in store. They have a fast tip and are plenty strong for any bass fishing you would come across

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    How about the carrot stix on ebay. Whole bunch in your price range. Maybe look at inshore rods also for a med heavy. For has there line of rods around 100$ but might not be heavy enough action.
    Thanks, it's hard when you can't go handle them all. I have a 6'6" MH Avid that is perfect for the conditions...just priced beyond something you hand to a 9 year old. I've never held a carrot stix rod. I only see one for $289 in the right power/length though as the cheaper ones are either too long or just a medium

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Off your list, I know it's sacrilege, but that Duckett Silverado is probably going to be the cheapest one with the right tip for what you mention. Even though I've personally sworn off Shimano, the Clarus series of rods is really nice as well; I just think you're going to have a little too much stiffness at the tip for your preferences. If you step down to medium power with the Abu Vendetta that could be a really good option. I think it'll have the right tip, but those rods are heavier powered than others by basically a full power rating (MH will fish heavy) so you'll have too much power with a MH version.
    I haven't held a Ducket ever. Sounds like from your list you are recommending the Vendetta and saving some money. How does the power of the M/MH compare with the Avids?

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Star Stellar Lite inshore rod will cost $99 and come with a lifetime warranty. If you buy from BassPro they warranty them over the counter in store. They have a fast tip and are plenty strong for any bass fishing you would come across
    The one i found in the right length says it is for 5/8oz - 2oz baits. Makes me somewhat scared it is rather stout. I definitely want a responsive rod, but that seems overkill but I assume it could just be it's rating or did I find the wrong one? https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/star...e-spinning-rod

St Croix is another company that tends to have rods that are a little heavier powered than others for a rating, but I’ve not fished an Avid to say that’s true on those models. If you get a Vendetta, I’d probably look toward a medium power though, just to make sure you don’t end up with a tip that’s too stiff. If you have the opportunity to handle them it might be worth checking the MH to see what you think.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    Thanks!! Found a stellar deal on some Mojo Bass rods (same blank as avid, cheaper cork/guides/assembly) and couldn't say no. Boys are going to go buck wild on Christmas!