Thread: Hook Sharpener

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hook Sharpener

I use a hook sharpener , SelecTool to be exact and it saves the day more often than not. Regardless of brand hooks in the rocky lakes near me can dull a hook pretty quickly. Saves some money and it fast.

I use SelecTool for knives, hooks, and scissors both in boat and around house. There's a lot of brands but this one seems to be best I've tried.

Curious , how many here carry a sharpener in the boat?
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

I do...It's an older Berkley model that has 2 files on each side and you slide the hook point down it.

If I'm in tournament though, I replace immediately and sharpen when I get home and stick them in a baggie for practice or fun fishing.

Correction: Rapala is what I have...

https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...ook-sharpener/
    Last edited by avidbasser; 11-24-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    Oh yea. Spinnerbaits and jigs gets sharpened a lot.

4. Member
    I got a couple different versions that I keep on the boat. But the Coast brand seems to work well for me.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    I just use the square stone deal that's like $2, most common thing I hit are c-rig hooks. I've noticed better hook-up when even touching up brand new hooks right away
    Fish have fins, they swim

6. Member
    I do. An Emory board works well..for touching up..its light and fits in your pocket. Better break out a real file if it’s bad dull .

7. Member
    I use the EZE-LAP Diamond Pen Type, I love it. It has the groove to make it really easy to use. Has saved many a chatterbait and jig for me, when I would have had to cut them off and put on another one. Believe i paid $4 or $5 for it when it was on sale on TW. They are still only around $8.

Quote Originally Posted by jod14 View Post
    I use the EZE-LAP Diamond Pen Type, I love it. It has the groove to make it really easy to use. Has saved many a chatterbait and jig for me, when I would have had to cut them off and put on another one. Believe i paid $4 or $5 for it when it was on sale on TW. They are still only around $8.
    Same here love my EZE-LAP , Jigs , frogs, chatterbaits, buzzbaits and so forth but don't bother with treble hooks,,, those just get replaced

Quote Originally Posted by jod14 View Post

10. Member
    I do I have a couple of them the one that I use the most is a flat one and I don't remember where I got I think BPS.

I love the old yellow handle hook files. I still carry one in the boat. I'm not sure if these are still made or not. But, with the pre-sharpened hooks that I use now, if I have to sharpen one or bend one out a little, it goes in a separate box that I use for tournament practice and when fun fishing. I only trust new hooks when money is on the line.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I use old diamond fingernail files, keep couple in the boat and a couple of small ceramic stones in my hook box.

13. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I keep my hooks, including treble hooks, touched up to keep them sharp. There some expensive hooks on the market and I think regardless of price that all hooks get dull. I think with the right tool , I can get them back to factory settings. Or at least as sharp as I need them to be.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

Vise grips and a 6" file

15. Member
    EZE-Lap pen style for me in the boat.

16. BBC SPONSOR

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    That's the one!

18. Member
    I keep an old fashioned whetstone in my boat. You have a choice of which grit you need, one side is coarser than the other side. A whetstone polishes a hook where a file makes scratches in it. Trebles are easy to touch up, you do two points at a time make three passes and get them all.

19. Member
    I do.

20. Member
    Denny’s Hook Honer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast