Bilge pump float switch not on unless main power is on

Is that the way they were wired from the factory?
    something is leaking in the back and I had about 30 gallons on water in the boat. Had no idea the bilge only worked when the main power was on.
    float tests fine.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Is that the way they were wired from the factory?
    something is leaking in the back and I had about 30 gallons on water in the boat. Had no idea the bilge only worked when the main power was on.
    float tests fine.
    Yup, you need to turn the power on to the panel for the pumps to work, which is how mine work.

3. Banned
    Yes I have to turn the power on for mine to work also

4. Member
    Wiring mine should it will come on when needed (automagically)
    https://newwiremarine.com/how-to/wir...e-pump-switch/

5. Member
    That how they all work.
    "No man stands taller than one who stoops to help a child"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Wiring mine should it will come on when needed (automagically)
    https://newwiremarine.com/how-to/wir...e-pump-switch/
    Stropp,
    Unless your is drastically different than my 2002 Cobra 201 DC, when you turn on the power to the main panel on the starboard side near driver seat, and turn on your bilge to auto, it will come on automatically once there is enough water in the bilge area. Depending on how your rig sits in the water, it may take a little more water than it should IMO.
    The way they are showing it in their recommended way with the separate float switch is how the internal float switch works when set to automatic, but you could put an additional float switch closer to the pump in the event the internal 1 goes bad.
    Last edited by digthemup; 12-03-2020 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

7. Member
    Just an FYI. I am going to replace my bilge switch with an off on contura spst and hard wire the bilge to run automagically regardless. Having an on or auto only work when the main power is on makes little sense. I want my bilge ready at any time, whether I am coherent or not...not just when I have the power on. Tilts are wired to work regardless. Bilge should be the same. I say so... that is why.

8. Member
    Are you always floating boat at dock ?

9. Member
    If your docked in water for long periods of time , then you're going to need battery charger hook up , at all times. If u straight wire float switch or the automatic bilge. If not batterys die boat sinks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey N.C. View Post
    If your docked in water for long periods of time , then you're going to need battery charger hook up , at all times. If u straight wire float switch or the automatic bilge. If not batterys die boat sinks.
    Excellent point. Though, I don't know many people that care for their rig and leave it in the water all of the time, since the bottom will turn into crap. I used to coat the bottom of my big Sea Ray with anti algae paint every other year, yet it still had built up at end of season.

11. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    I have seen bass boats with two bilge pumps, one high capacity wired directly to cranking battery with a fuse on hot lead. Usually a new hole must be drilled in back of boat cap, but i have been trying to figure out if I can use the same bilge pump out hole, by adding a Y anti-siphon valve. Mainly like above mentioned when we launch and forget plug and forget main power switch. As soon as I find parts I'll post.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

12. Member
    My auto bilge is hot all the time, so your boat don't fill up with water. Then I have a switched one as well, which is on the main power switch

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS